A Disappointing Boozy Lunch: 2003 Saint Estephe

Had the 2003 Latour last night. Took an hour to open up, at first it was very green but after an hour the fruit burst forward.

interesting

I had an 03 Cos a while ago and foudn it mindblowing - I’ve got a substantial stash of more bottles. Recent CT reviews have been mediocre at best. Not sure exactly when I last tried it, but it was maybe 12-18 months ago?

Jeff Leve recently gave it a 98 too.

A question of drinking temperature i think.
Maybe 03 should be consumed aprox at 16-17C.
Leoville Barton and Sociando Mallet 03 stand out.

Good to know Jeff is not alone. cheesehead

We had the 03 Calon Segur. Tasted like . . . bdx. Lovely wine. Not extraordinary but not a caricature either. Very much enjoyed it.

My last 2003, at the beginning of october 2020 was excellent, ripe but properly balanced :
Pomerol La Conseillante 2003 : 17/20
Offre mûre, corsée, graphitée. Bouche de très belle tenue, plutôt onctueuse (mais sans lourdeur condamnable), évitant les potentiels pièges du millésime.

Any insight on Figeac?

We had 2003 Figeac in our Cabs and Bordeaux blends blind tasting earlier this year. Almost everyone unanimously said that it was a classic Bordeaux, right from the first sniff. Quite modest alcohol at 13% and high acidity with even a slightly herbaceous, leafy streak of Cab Franc.

I was floored to learn it was 2003 when the bottles were revealed. It had none of the hot-vintage qualities whatsoever. I was pretty much in the ballpark regarding the age (my guess was Bordeaux - although I thought of a left-banker - with 15 years of age) but I never ever would’ve thought it was 2003. Hands down the best 2003 Bordeaux I’ve tasted.

Figeac 2003 was ok in a verticale in 2009. Not surprised it can be great today.

Montrose 2003 excellent in july 2010 (17/20) :
St-Estèphe Montrose 2003 : 17/20 – 26/6/10
Nez enivrant : chocolat, tabac, cèdre, graphite, cassis, fumée.
Ici aussi, onctuosité, avec de la finesse et de la longueur (et une fraîcheur préservée pour un vin exubérant mais suffisamment ferme).

My best 2003 : Pomerol Lafleur 2003 (19/20 in 2017) - Pomerol ripe vintage … and a stunning “vin de garde” !

Not conviced by the storytelling about Pavie 2003 …

Haven’t read the whole thread, but gave up on '03 Bordeaux a long time ago. I think I’ve got two bottles left, Calon-Segur and ???

A far better use for them than luncheon wines is to use instead of Port (with Stilton or such) at the end of a winter dinner.

Dan Kravitz

Every time I open a 2003 (like tonight) I’m disappointed there’s more in the cellar. 2003 Leoville Barton is a brick shithouse tonight. It might turn into something interesting (to me) someday. And, it might not. I will say that the ‘03 Lafite was pretty good and much more finessed a few weeks ago, but I’d never pay $500 a bottle for it.

I stopped buying Cos a long time ago but aside from the 89/90, it never got me too excited.

Excellent base for Coq au Vin. It is where that bottle of Cos ended up; highest and best use.
And bad as that is, the 2009 is actually worse.