A Discussion of Rose Champagne: Benchmark Vintage and N/V's?

Brad- is the 02 Clos des Goisses for sale yet? On W-S all I see available is the Rose…will definitely look for the 02 if it hits at a decent price. Just not sure I’ll find the 02 Rose worth the $350+/- … rather end up with 2+ bottles of the regular.

What are good prices for the 1522 reg and Rose? Looks like only one source in the US for either (the Rose) at $135.

Dan,

The 01 and 02 Clos des Goisses should be out shortly. The plan was for a late summer/early fall release of both.

The 1522 should be in the $80-$110 range for the white and Rose; less if you get them in Europe.

I agree that $350 is a tough price especially as it can prevent loading up. Still, I think it is worth at least a couple bottles or so.

+1 on the 1985 Cuvee Rare - a brilliant wine.

Thought I’d revisit this thread, since I have had a few good Roses recently, and plan on a few more in the next few days…

I put on the '96 and '98 Dom Rose at our last “Monthly Dinner” 2 weeks ago, and they were both brilliant, albiet in slightly different ways (vintage difference, the house style was very much in evidence). A surprise to many perhaps at how good they both showed, and this reaffirmed to me that these are right up the top of the Rose tree…

Notes can be found here…

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/getting-corton-some-tricky-options/53647/1

My shipment of Vilmart’s arrived recently ('02 Couer de Cuvee…mmmmm), along with this was a case of the Cuvee Rubis, so one of these will also go in the next day or so…

Also picked up some of the excellent Andre Clouet Brut Rose, so that will then be next, along with a 4 years old (from my cellar) bottle of Ruinart Brut Rose…(interesting to see how this has evolved…)

Was also thinking of a Cristal Rose '88 for NYE, but as were traveling to NZ, thought it might be best left for something younger that might perhaps travel better. Another time then…

All in all, looks like a very merry Rose Xmas for me!!

Slight drift…what do people think of Roses that have red added Vs those pressed on the skins as far as aging potential and evolution goes???.

I haven’t had enough vintage wines to really judge them. For NV Camilles Saves is an easy winner though it is far to pretty and elegant to be categorized as ‘fruit driven’ IMO. Vilmart and Paul Bara are close seconds.

+1

NV J. Lassalle Premier Cru Brut Rose is one of my favorites and it is reasonable from WINEX. Better than the NV Ruinart Rose IMHO.

The problem I have found with some of the smaller grower Roses is that they can be very hard to find…anyway, a couple more I will add to the list to keep my eyes out for…thanks!

Is there a consensus on which is the best rose from 2002 ?

Nick,

Not all the 2002 Roses are out yet, but, of those that have been released, my current top five are (in order):

1. Vilmart Grand Cellier Rubis
  2. Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rose
  3. Philipponnat Clos des Goisses Juste Rose
  4. Bollinger Grande Annee Rose
  5. Louis Roederer Cristal Rose

All of the above are very special wines and all have drank well since release; not saying they are peaking, but you don’t need to be afraid of opening one now if you have multiples.

I don’t have much experience but the best rose Champagne Ive had is the MV Krug. I really loved it. Super expensive though.

Just opened the Vilmart Cuvee Rubis for Christmas Eve as part of our bubbly beginnings.

A lovely fine floral/strawberry fruited champagne that is easy to like. Great value, and will improve with more time. Wish I had now bought some of the '02 Vintage Rubis as well…

The '02 Bollinger Grande Annee Rose is another one I will also be adding to the list of must buys…

Thanks Berry.

I also really want to try this, but can’t get my head around it at the price…I guess this shows what a difference having a vintage year Vs a NV seems to makes psychologically…

Thanks Brad. Where do you think the 02 DP Rose will fit in this list ?

listen to Brad. man knows his acid. larmandier bernier rose de saignee, WITH bottle age is remarkable. unique and very masculine. hint of tannins. when young is pretty brutal, i don’t recommend trying without at least 3-5 years of bottle age.

personally i like the balanced style as brad suggested, for me though pol roger is pretty awesome and of course so is billet salmon. neither one ever disappoints.

also i thought i would never ever say this but gloria ferrer’s bdn delivers the goods for sure.

Not sure yet. The expectations are high and 2002 is a great vintage for Pinot Noir and many Roses really excelled in this vintage. We’ll have to wait and see, but I would not be surprised to see it rank right up there with the best.

amazing price for Billiot NV Rosé at Saratoga Wine Exchange right now . . . $40.63 per b case price.
no affiliation . . . yada yada yada. But I did place an order.
alan

Yeah, I like this one also, although the last bottle I had (in SF last year) showed it really needed more time yet.

I’ll be on the look out for the '02 Dom when it’s released (still a few years away??).

Something I asked before but got no response to, so if anyone has any opinions or ideas, please feel free to answer… [cheers.gif]

What do people think of Roses that have red added to the Champagne Vs those pressed on the skins as far as aging potential and evolution goes???

Guess I am also asking for some discussion on the differences these make to the Champagnes stylistically, both long term and short term…

TIA… [cheers.gif]

Paul,

The answer to your question is something that I believe is more of a personal preference for a winemaker than anything else. The two basic styles of Rose Champagne are:

• You make some red wine and add it to a base of white wine or add white wine to the base of red wine. This is the Assemblage Method
  • You macerate red grapes or co-macerate red and white grapes. This would be the Maceration Method and I include a traditional Saignee as a subcategory of Maceration.

I will note that for the Assemblage Method, it really doesn’t matter if you make a true red wine and a little bit of it to white wine or if you make a nice Rose de Saignee that represents 99% of the blend and then add 1% of white wine. Both cases are Assemblage.

With both methods, you can create fruity, meaty, light, dark, tannic, mineral, deep, smoky, etc… Roses. It depends on how you use them. When a particular winemaker uses each method, I think there is a clear difference and you can tell which they do better with (or at least believe in more and put more effort into). That said, in a blind environment with Roses from a variety of producers, it is almost impossible to consistently tell the difference. I’m sure others will tell you differently and depending on which winemaker you talk to, they will list numerous reasons as to why one way is preferable or better than the another, but I think all of this disagreement proves the point more than anything else.

About the only concrete thing I can say about the Assemblage vs. Maceration is that you can get more consistency from year to year and less surprises with an Assemblage as you can always adjust as needed; with a Maceration, you kind of get what you get.