A Humble Evening at Bern's, Some Observations, and the Omnipresence of Rolland in My Life

Thank you. If I were there with you and Rolland Robert, I would love to try a 1918 and I am sure that would be his preference as well.

Honestly, your description makes it seem like those of us who missed out on the glory years of Berns are out of luck, as it sounds like it is no longer such a unique experience. If I want to pay $500 for a 2003 Pontet Canet (which I don’t), there are plenty of places to go do it.

That’s what the internet does to bargains.

That’s kinda way, for years, there was a bit of an unspoken understanding not to talk about Bern’s.

As it relates to what’s left on the menu, check out Keith’s post. A very savvy connoisseur who happens to go to Bern’s with some regularity.

And, there is also stuff not on the menu.

Oh, and if you have some coin in your pocket, they have an 1849 Gruaud Larose that he been recorked by the Chateau 3x. [cheers.gif]

Robert, I think Brad made nice choices that fit within your parameters. He has done this for me before for a non geek crowd. Sometimes its ok to drink wines I wouldn’t choose, but would be happy to drink with a crowd.

As for the PC, I think you were lucky to dink the 2003 over the 2000. I did not like that wine at all. Yes 2000 vs. 2003 arguments aside.

You’re both wrong. Its Billecart-Salmonses. Duh! neener

I’m wondering if there’s a thread on the Uber driver forum about how some passenger the other night wouldn’t stop talking about some wine guy from France named Rolland. Heading over there now to see if I can scoop that story…

High end Northern Rhone has been really picked over as well, and yes, the prices have risen quite a bit. I still love Bern’s though.

I heard that pretentious drunk dude was in the back seat waxing philosophically about apogee, petrichor and grilled yak, demanding that the Uber driver pull into a Taco Bell for some burritos to pair with his roadie of Meiomi.

Just learned I’ll be in Tampa soon with my two colleagues from Warsaw … one asked me to come up with a restaurant list for us … I immediately knew what would go on top. We won’t however be matching your wine budget but I suspect we will have fun and amuse our uber driver.

Siun -

Hit the bar first and check out their “Wine by the Glass” section. They almost always have some really cool old stuff for dirt cheap. it’s the Somms’ way of clearing out old stuff that may be past prime and having fun. Last time I was there, had some very decent 1979 Cornas, 1974 Mondavi Zin and a 1987 Cab from a classic Napa producer whose name now escapes me. The Cornas and Zin were $10 and the Cab was $15.

You don’t have to spend a ton on wine to have fun there. Look for no-name Cru Bordeaux, Zins, and alternative varietals.

Plenty of interesting stuff for a newbie.

Thanks for such good advice … will definitely do. It should be pretty perfect since my dinner companions definitely enjoy fun American experiences … this seems classic.

You’re calling Graf s t r o m a newbie?

Newbie to Bern’s.

Been once, and thought the steaks really mediocre I am afraid. But did get some fun wines from the list, in fact it is precisely those ancient oddities that made the trip worthwhile. I do hope they still exist, although a close friend with similar tastes to mine struggled.

Always fun to look at the by-the-glass menu - last time I was there you could get a '83 Bouchard Julienas for $4.55 a glass!!! Listed right above Apothic “Sweet Red Blend” at $6.90!!!

^^ What he said ^^

Lots of debate, and opinion, on the steaks. I get stuck at a lot of these “business-place” steak joints like Cap Grille, Ruth’s Chris, Fleming’s, etc. I’d take Bern’s steaks over any of them, any day. Love the dry aged steaks and almost always cooked to perfection. They even have two levels of rare for those, like me, that like sushi grade!

Probably spoilt by Flannery and Peter Luger.

Or, just spoiled.

Pass the VCC . . . .

[cheers.gif]