A New Friend: The Best Restaurant in Chicago

Have a reservation in a couple of weeks-looking forward to it. What is their corkage policy? anyone?

JD

Great photos and write-up!

Last I remember it was a two bottle per table max. I don’t remember the fee.

That looks delicious. I noticed that they retained their Michelin 3 stars along with Alinea as the only two 3 stars in Chicago. I don’t get to Chicago that often but last time I was there I ate at Moto which was a fun experience. It was like a science experiment in cooking.

I dined at L20 in February. Myself and a date each did the 4 course option. The service was absolutely wonderful. Everyone was friendly and attentive. However, I was only wowed by their amuse and their bread with cubed bacon in it. I felt like I got robbed that night… Can’t wait to try Alinea.

Jon: Alinea is fantastic.

The current kitchen staff (Matt and Nick et al) at L20 have only been there about 5 months so they weren’t yet there when you ate there. Not surprised by your reaction at that point in time.

I’d give it another try.

Wilfred,
This sound fabulous.
If Chantelle is still there as sommelier, tell her hi from her Atlanta friends. A gorgeous and VERY smart woman. She really knows wine .
This looks like a must try.

Wilfred,

Do you know what happened to the chef who took over for Laurent ?

The restaurant may be wonderful, but its website could have been featured in this article:

Why are restaurant websites so horrifically bad? Restaurant websites: Why are they so awful? Which ones are the absolute worst?

Don, Chantelle left for other pursuits but I still stay in touch with her via Facebook. Nick–he is still executive chef, its just that Matt (chef de cuisine) and Nick (sous chef) produce what’s coming out of the kitchen. Robert–totally agree. We brought wine and I went to lookup their list to be sure what we were bringing was not on their list and just saw boilerplate language.

I had the miniscule A11 Waygu, the plate in your picture looked exactly like the plate I ordered… I don’t get it. It’s 3 or 4 ounces of good quality meat, but there was hardly any flavor. I’ll take the (roughly) $70 value of that plate, add another $50 and get a ribcap from Flannery.

Late to the post, but I was on time for dinner!

Wilfrid said it all, everything was superb!

As for the Wagyu, for me and Craig, it was our least favorite, but I’m a seafood lover, not much of a meat fancier. All the fish was top marks on all counts. And all my fish dishes were different from Wilfrid’s!

Thanks for putting it together WVG!