Adjacent Bordeaux Properties

In Burgundy, you can find some pretty super wines by trying the next-door neighbors of famous vineyards.

That’s not such a good rule of thumb in Bordeaux, where chateau classification isn’t even based on terroir. Ch. Margaux could have bought those plots 2 days ago and they would still be called Ch. Margaux. They could be subpar plots that never even go into the Margaux grand vin. They could be a lawn that’s not even planted to vines. Who knows? And hey, why should we assume that the plot in the middle is more likely to approximate the quality of the neighbor on the right than the neighbor on the left? Other than the fact that “Right next door to Brane-Cantenac!” doesn’t move any bottles.

I haven’t had this wine though, could be terrific for all I know. There are several lesser-known chateaux out there that do have vineyards surrounded by first growths or in some cases even have vineyards acquired from first growths. I wouldn’t buy them expecting to get Lafite-Rothschild for $30, though.

L’Aura rocks.
Love to bring it out at blind tastings.
As has been said, tremendous value for money.

Proximity is not all, by any means.
Look at Château Pontac Lynch, right next to Margaux and Palmer…

Alex R.

You guys are just angling for laughs using lame jokes just for the halibut. Keep up that crappie humor and you’ll char your reputations.