Advice re Normandy and Brittany

You definitely have to have a private guide as there is so much you would miss if you just did it on your own. Little details, explanations of what you are seeing. Totally worth the money. IMO you don’t need a guide for the tapestry. There is an audioguide that works well. Spend your money on the WWII stuff

Also this is probably one of my favorite small hotels I have stayed in, in Europe. Right in center of Bayeux

George

Agree that you don’t need a guide for bayeau tapestry or bayeau in general. I’d customize it to your dad’s interest. We saw Omaha and Utah beach, the US cemetery, the Airborne museum, Pont du Hoc, Brecort Manor battle site, and we did “drive bys” of a couple other sites. It was a very full day.

As I remember, the Bayeaux Tapestry is amazing. A special aspect is that you are “forced” to see a mockup of the tapestry and read quite a bit before you see the real thing. The time you spend reading and preparing is invaluable to your understanding. Well worth the time!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Things we saw on our trip a couple years ago:
Bayeaux Tapestry ***
Bayeaux Cathedral *** - There was a choral group practicing for an Easter concert when we were there which probably upped this a star.
Arromanches * - A make-shift harbor with some rusting ships sunk as breakwaters.
German Battery outside Longues-sur-Mer** - A really good example of how well dug-in the Germans were.
Overlord Museum * - Probably worth another star if you like tanks and old army vehicles.
Omaha Beach Memorial Museum and Cemetary **** - Very good exhibits. Really illustrates the challenges the Americans faced on this beach, and displays the sacrifice by so many to liberate Europe.
Pointe du Hoc *** - Very cool site. Similar, but not as extensive as Longues-sur-Mer, but with a critical and interesting story.

We also ran down to St Malo*** and Mont Saint Michel**** (about a 2 hour drive). I wasn’t expecting much from Mont Saint Michel, but it was very interesting from both a historical and tidal standpoint, though it was crowded (we were there during Europe’s Easter Break).

I loved Mont st. michel, but we did it right…arrived in the evening as the busses were leaving. At night, the place was deserted and there was music being played in a couple of rooms. It was great wandering around during and after sunset. Then in the morning, I got up early and walked around the tidal flats. Then we left as the crowds descended.

Best steak au poivre I ever had was in a small cafe in Calais, maybe 78.

Loved walking around St.Malo…great shops and oysters!

Cheers!
Marshall

Looking at the travel board, seems like one cannot visit Europe without running into a Gelb. [welldone.gif] [winner.gif]

A timely bump as this is on our list of possible 2018 vacations. I remember Mont Saint Michel very fondly from my last trip (in 1985!) and Arnold has never been.

Having spent time with them I can assure you that they cover the entire planet. Great resource.

Out D-day trip is coming into focus and I’m starting to become excited even though it wasn’t at the top of my personal wish list.

We spent a couple of days in Normandy 2 summers ago. We did a 2 day tour with https://www.overlordtour.com/. That was too much for my wife and close to it for me, but that’s not the tour company’s fault. The guides we had were knowledgeable and entertaining and I felt we saw so much more with them than we would have on our own. They offer a variety of half and full day tours and I suggest you spend a little time on their site and find something that includes the spots you want to see. We stayed in Bayeux, at the Hotel Le Bayeux. Pretty basic, in a great location in town, and about 1/3rd the price of the Villa Lara or Churchill. Highly recommended if all you’re looking for is a nice place to sleep and grab a quick breakfast. We had an excellent dinner at Au Ptit Bistrot, right in Bayeux. This place has apparently been discovered by the TripAdvisor folks, so hopefully it’s still good :slight_smile:

+1
Heading out next weekend, using Caen as our base. Hotel doesn’t look overly exciting, but another family is running that part of the planning. Will post notes/pics.

Here is the excellent guide we used. About Château de Beaulieu Tours - Normandy Guided Tours - World War 2 D-Day Battlefields and Historic Sites at Château de Beaulieu

And here is their lovely b&b. Chateau de Beaulieu - Accommodation for Normandy Battlefields and Beaches Tours

If anyone is planning a trip to Normandy and wants a guide, I know a great guide who has taken me through the battlefields many times. He is really more for die-hard WWII buffs than the casual explorer, but we went places that you simply cannot get to without someone in the know. I’ve been five or six times, and I learn something new every time. PM me for more details.

To give some context, if you don’t mind walking through cow dung to reach the exact place where the Band of Brothers destroyed the 105s at Brecourt Manor, you will love this.

If anyone is planning a trip to Normandy and is a WWII buff, my best piece of advice is this:

Visit WN-60 at Omaha Beach during low tide.

It is by far THE best perspective of the entire beach and gives a great understanding of just how much exposure the soldiers had while landing.

You can look up WN-60 on Google Maps. Note, there is a dirt road, then you park and have to walk the rest of the way on foot. But totally worth it.

normandifferently@admirall-co.com run by Frédéric Maillard offered a shitty guide and I would not recommend his service. Hotel had highly recommended him. Mistake.

Also uses website laconciergeriedubessin.fr

What went wrong?

The Germans won?

Don’t mention the war!
376DE876-0CA5-4AA6-A017-A905BB4A5BB0.jpeg

I could be your guide but I’m VERY expensive…