AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

It’s a great bottle! Large and heavy, I use one as my double decanting bottle. The wine is not really my style, but the bottle is great [wow.gif]

This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then…

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.

I bought Peter Michael Les Pavots in 1992-1995, and had a similar reaction to you. (Paid $28.99/btl for ‘92, $35 for ‘93, $50 for ‘94)

I sold it along with all of the other 90s Napa wines in my cellar, and my Beaucastel and other CdP. Bought Champagne, Riesling, and some Burgundy(and perhaps a bit of Cru Beaujolais).

I did not sell any of my Lytton Springs and Geyserville Zinfandels as I drank all of them…and quite a few others. Same goes for the Edmunds St Jean Syrahs.

Awesome…

If you enjoy the 2000, you should try the 2005. I am making my way through a case, but the wood treatment is still a bit harsh, even for me. If you come to New York, I will let you try a bottle to see if you like it. [cheers.gif]

No. No. That 2005 is horrid!

I am putting Pat on ignore after this post. I will now only follow “Blanquito”. Jay, I follow, so that I can roll my eyes, as my palate flops, and stomach groans.

[wow.gif]

Leonetti Cab, Pride Merlot, and Newton Unfiltered Chardonnay were my gateway wines in the early 2000’s. They’re all long gone, so I’ll never know if the rambunctious fruit settled down or the oak integrated.

Anyone can confess to liking anti-AFWE wines if, in fact, that’s what they like. Or recount once liking them now that they no longer do. Or even liking wines that other AFWE people don’t like, even though they think of themselves as AFWE (taste being screwy in the way that it is). If we want to make Alfert feel better, we should confess to oaky alcoholic montrosities that we liked despite thinking of ourselves as AFWE people. I, for instance, have had more than one Cambie wine get past me at large tastings. I don’t remember their names, though, no doubt as a matter of defense mechanisms exerting themselves.

Who said anything about no judgement? Still, perhaps you are more sinned against than sinning. I saw the best palates if my generation ruined by…

The 1995 Monbousquet was the very last time I took Parker’s advice on a wine. Fortunately I only bought one bottle.

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Barrels of new oak on fire off the shoulder of Michel Rolland. I watched reverse osmosis filters glitter in the dark near Chateau Pavie. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time for my palate to die.

If it makes you feel better, I drove past The Prisoner winery yesterday and forgot to flip them off or break my empties on their driveway.

I guess I’m going soft.

As Dre said, “Don’t let me slip, ‘cause if I slip then I’m slippin’.”

Which of course, with Prisoner, or Martenelli for that matter, would be apropos:

Gin and juice.

Plausible deniability.

RT

champagne.gif

It did read that way, didn’t it?

The lady has me hooked!

I’ll happily admit that I really dig a lot of Priorat and that’s turned into my go to when I want a bigger wine. It may not be full on AWFE, but it’s a region that seems to be thrown into the purple drank category when that isn’t the case for a lot of wines IMO

+1… Clos Erasmus…Guilty.

Here is a confession for you: I really liked the ‘03 Bellevue Mondotte a few years ago and I’ve bought more of various vintages since then. I opened a bottle of the ‘03 bottle last night and could barely swallow it. I thought my palate was still very “open-minded” with respect to modern vs traditional styles, but perhaps that has changed a lot since then. Or maybe the oaky mess will in come together in 20 years!

[head-bang.gif]

This Napa trip confirms his inclinations…brilliant slueth work from your buddy [pwn.gif]

Hell, I drink with Bobby yet was never enlightened to his true deep dark desires…wait, I take that back, I am very aware of his deep dark desires, just not when it came to wine.