Air France - Wine/Alcohol Restriction

Is this new? My buddy and I both flew back from CDG this past September with a full wine check each and had no issues.

I’m guessing selective enforcement.

I flew back on Air France this past fall with a full Wine Check and no problems (and my buddy had 2 cases). Getting ready to head back to France next month (on AF again). Anyone have the correct info on this? Is AF trying to follow the TSA 5L thing but forgetting about the 24-70% abv detail? Just an unlucky overzealous/incorrect enforcement issue for the OP? I’d be damn surprised if AF of all airlines isn’t going to let you bring back a case of wine.

Alcoholic beverages not exceeding an alcoholic volume of 70 %, wrapped in their retail packaging, correctly closed and not exceeding 5 liters, are permitted.

In the cabin: no
In the hold: yes
Prior approval needed: no

Maximum 5 l per person

I’ve seen this, but I’m thinking they mistakenly omitted the 24% part.

My wife is in the air right now on the CDG-SFO flight bringing a Winecheck and a few loose bottles in her luggage. No issues at all.

Just flew back on AF with a case. No problems whatsoever.

Not a fan of Air France. Their super strict enforcement of precise carryon size and weight in Paris cost us $100 plus losing our place in a LONG line which translated into almost missing our flight. I was wearing a heavy trench coat and when they added that to the total of my carryon, it made it oversized and 1 pound over weight. Had to go back to the check in counter and check it in. What made it worse was the attitude which was extremely critically rude and confronting and this was just about a piece of baggage and a pound. They took it personally. Having only a couple of hours of sleep, I didn’t handle it all that well initially until I did.

I recently flew from CGG to YVR (Vancouver, BC Canada) on Air France with a Wine Check full of 12 bottles of grower Champagne. No issues other than they asked me to check the Wine Check at the oversize counter for whatever reason. Then in Vancouver it came out with all the other luggage and NOT the oversize area :slight_smile:

Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but will be travelling on AF to Paris in January, and I wanted to bring back a case of Champagne in my wine check. Anyone have any updated information, or is the 5L policy still enforced? Also, if I travel with family (of 4 total), does that mean my limit goes up to 20L?

Thanks!

I’m guessing the wine check may open you to scrutiny and thus require you to comply with the 5L limit. I returned from Belgium last year with more than double BA’s 5L limit, but it was in my suitcase and was not flagged.

I flew back from Paris in July on Air France and checked my 12-bottle styro Wine Check. No problems at all.

From experience (mine and others) it just seems to be the agent you get - you could get nothing but you could also get an agent who really wants to enforce the rules. I’ve stopped flying AF because I travel with wine virtually every trip and I don’t want to take the risk.

I`m inclined to agree that it probably comes down to the agent{s} you’re dealing with. Our carryon issue involved about 5 different agents playing the role of enforcer and loving it amidst numerous passengers shouting profanities and even some just throwing their carryons in the trash and leaving their belongings behind. I do not know what they had inside, but that was not a choice for us. I stopped flying with AF and have never had any problem with KLM/ Delta and others although I would not put it past British Airways to cop a similar attitude.

Thanks for the information everyone. One thing I am still wondering is if I’m travelling with a partner, does that mean the limit is upped to 10L (5L per person), or is the maximum in one suitcase 5L?

My guess is that it would be per person in separate bags (but who knows with AF).