Alban release, Grenache

This is a Grenache that’s all its own……doesn’t compare to anything made in the world…….but I haven’t had any recent vintages….here are some past experiences:

Just curious Buzz; did you stop buying or have you just opened any since the 2006? I got priced out, but I know that you buy high dollar wines. I remain a huge fan of Alban’s wines despite a certain very influential (on me) elder gent recently decrying them. Luckily I still have a lot of them from 2005 and older, mostly '98 through '02s. Lucky too that they don’t seem to age or evolve at all according to the rocket scientist from Albuquerque.

I stopped at 07……got on sqn list, which pretty much takes all my money in that area. Plus, I still have a ton of Alban to last me awhile. And….when the Burgundy bug hits you….you’re screwed! I still enjoy Alban though….holds a special place for me.

I still buy direct from Alban, though the quantities are down with the price increases.

Lorraine is my favorite domestic Syrah (don’t get a couple of the Cayuse Syrahs and not on SQN list).
Love the Grenache and Forsythe.

How each of use choose to vote with our dollar is a personal decision. It always fascinates me that some have such a strong opinion that Winery X is more deserving than Winery Y of my dollar. SQN, Saxum and Cayuse are message board favorites who get pages of posts when a new release comes out. While Alban is not held in the same regard despite their history (in and out of the bottle).

I can understand that their unique style (Cuesta Pass Burnt Brake Pads my favorite description) or their price point can be off putting. Not every business model can be like Carlisle and Bedrock, the former I have voted with my dollar for almost a decade. And I don’t remember seeing their Beserkers offers yesterday :wink:

I do wish Alban would change their bottle shape, they are a pain to store in “normal” racking and the bottles need a minimum of 8 years before I consider opening.

YMMV

Weird…didn’t receive the offer letter m. Purchased the last two years.

Like many of the finest Rhone producers on the Central Coast, John’s wines have notable concentration, weight and an overall prowess in the greater camp of often flashy company. However, all comparisons stop there. These wines are so unique, so interesting, that I cannot help but see them in a different light. Alban reds are without a doubt my favorite California wines.

The Grenache wines from John are a true labor of love. I believe it is the variety he is most fond of drinking, and if you saw how much his Grenache vines go through, and how little they yield, you may even say he is crazy for it. Although these wines are unique, they give a respectable nod to traditional Rhone characteristics while remaining broad, brooding, and true to their California origins. I most recently drank a bottle of 2009 Pandora over the course of two days and it was the most aromatically stunning wine I had had in my glass since an '09 Chave Hermitage many months prior. The Estate bottling that you are asking about is often more structured for longer cellaring, but with a proper decant will be an incredible expression when young. The question that remains is not do I purchase, but rather how much can I get?

When I was just 26, I was lucky enough to walk the rows and taste barrels with John and Lorraine. I cannot begin to describe the passion they have for their land and craft. It is still the most inspiring winery visit I have ever had. The complex geology of their property and true stewardship of the land by John is amazing. John and Lorraine are truly great people, and I simply feel blessed when I drink their wines. Most will not have an opportunity to visit, or have discussions with John on internet message boards etc, but it is my opinion these wines should never be denied.

Jeff, great post. Love to see passion like this for wines.

Jeff

Thanks, a wonderful endorsement. It was the BBC visit by Oz Clarke that led me to seek out Alban originally and the uniqueness of the wines has kept me there

After deliberations i pulled the trigger on my 3 pack allocation, it is a very expensive purchase by my standards but ive been buying at this $100-$125 range more often, take fewer of these instead of $60-75 bottles which im finding less and less value in

I’m late to see this thread, but would add that the 2005 Alban Grenache is among the best wines I’ve ever had.

Love what Jeff had to say. There is no doubt that John has a true passion for what he does, and what he does tends to ‘singular’ in it’s finished state, which, to me, is quite an accomplishment.

I’ve had the pleasure and honor of having a few Alban Grenaches and each time, I was floored not only by their massiveness and depth, but by the fact that they still held on to varietal character.

Not for the faint of heart, but give these time and they will reward you and then some . . .

+1 on what Jeff said.
I also have had the pleasure to tour the winery with John, and I found him to be a fascinating guy.
I have had quite a few bottles of the 07 Grenache, I don’t have notes but I’m holding my last two for at least another couple of years.
His other Grenache based wine is the Pandora, it’s a little more expensive but worth every penny (IMO) if you get offered it. Had a bottle of the 2008 Pandora a while back and it was my WOTN with 2003 Deus Ex Machina a close second.

Great words Jeff. The 06 Reva is one of my most truly memorable wine experiences.

Off topic, but I’ve always liked his whites. Used to buy them locally but they are increasingly difficult to find. Just signed up in the hopes that I can get away with only buying those.

Had the 2010 Reva tonight

The most surprising thing is how John gets so much flavour but still keeps the acidity high

Acidification, perhaps? It’s pretty common.