An Amazing Wine I Strongly Recommend Buying

Will be visiting Soter in the next two weeks. Not sure I will be springing for the $125 bottles though. Not really a baller myself.

My 6 bottle order only had a shipping fee. No handling or tax.

Count me as a fan.

I believe Roy’s characterization of “Incredible depth, complexity and character that screams Napa, but without any excess” is spot on.

• NV Soter 1997 - 2007 Proprietary Red - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/9/2014)
    Decanted three hours. Opaque, youthful dark ruby color. Pretty aromas of blueberry, black raspberry, and black currant fruit are apparent, with notions of sweet tobacco and graphite showing through. The palate shows a soft entry of blackberry and black cherry, integrated with the spicy sweetness of oak, cedar, dark chocolate, and an iron note. The round tannins and understated acidity of this wine complement the fruit characters to create a very attractive balance. Medium to full-bodied, with a wonderful texture and an abundance of delicious flavors that develop continuously from start to finish. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

True. That’s the way I saw it. I bought two based on Tony’s history and Roy’s recommendation though. I don’t buy a lot in this price range and most likely wouldn’t buy every year even if they made it. Once in a while though, it nice to have something like this.

Arrived today flirtysmile
photo.JPG

David I got mine today too. Should’ve known we’d both be in!

3 bottles ordered.

Roy - curious if you have opened one recently? I pulled a cork end of 2014 and loved it. If so thoughts on decant?

Okay - admit it…who clicked on the link and tried to buy some of the wine…(other than me…i’m a dumbass)…

I just did

Jeff- we had our last one on NYE. We gave it a 2 hour decant. Beautiful wine and we really enjoyed it. I am not a Malbec fan and did pick up some of the Malbec notes on the finish if there was anything I would call out. Very good wine and in its sweet spot.

On a different note I posted a write up of Long Meadow Ranch and their Rutherford Estate wines. They reminded me of some of my favorite wines from Tony. His Etude Cab’s in the mid/late 90’s.

Roy - I would love to hear what you’d think of Enfield Wine Co’s Waterhorse Ridge Cab, if you have tried it. That wine just blew me away.

1 Like

Roy, maybe you have already done this…but, where is your pick for this year? flirtysmile

I’m surprised this is still on Soter’s website, albeit at $150 per now. Never had it, but Roy’s enthusiasm and candor is always great.

Btw, if you look under library it is still there.

Wow, talk about bringing up an old post!

I should say that I’ve noticed a lot of bottle variation in this Soter bottling. I’ve had three that were stunning and 3 that just seemed “good” but not terribly exciting. When it’s good it’s stunning. But it’s been 3 years since I’ve had it. I drank em all!

As for my pick of 2020… well, I would not pick any one wine per se, but did finally have a few bottles of Andremily and adore them. They remind me of SQN back before they sourced all their own fruit. One has to be okay with the uber-concentration, but if you are, I have really fallen for their wines. The sole exception being the Rose, which just seemed too much for a rose.

I first had them 18 months ago when I attended a get together of wine people in Seattle. We all brought good wines but to me the Andremily was the WOTN. Tried em 4x more this last 12 months. Count me as a big fan of them and probably behind the curve in finally having them.

1 Like

I am half way through my six-pack and have also noted bottle variation. Some are good; some have been great. Will have to queue up a bottle.

Inspired me to find my stash of this and stand one up. Will report back.

I cant speak on the quality as I still havent had one and no one cares about what I think once they have Roy’s endorsement anyway, but the Andremily list is still a reasonable wait time for those who haven’t signed up, I just got on in November after 1 year and a day.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or did the wine go up to $150?