An Evolution of Pesto

IMHO wines pair much better with Massimo’s version. I can’t imagine going back to the traditional method ever again.

What’s the purpose of rubbing a cut garlic head on the inside of the blender? That seems a bit cute but superfluous. I’m willing to listen to a scientific culinary explanation of why that’s important though.

It adds a hint of garlic. Same as rubbing a garlic clove on toast as Jacques Pepin demonstrates frequently.

Thanks! Ok, I see now that more garlic apparently isn’t added, so that’s it. I just assumed you would be throwing a clove in there anyway and thought a little rubbing on the blender wouldn’t matter.

Re wine with Pesto - I tried a Te Awanga Estate Sauvignon Blanc with home-made Pesto last month. I liked that pairing better (compared to a Vermentino that I had tried in the past).

Thank you for the recipe. We’ll try it next. My wife doesn’t react well to pine nut. We had also used walnut in the past.

The first time I tried the rubbing on toast I didn’t really believe it would add any flavor …but it really does.