Anchovies

if you haven’t opened them return them to Despaña.
I will send you a link for an excellent 500g flat of anchoas in olive oil from Cantabria, Spain. under $60.00

COuld you send me that link too, please?

champagne.gif I baked some scallops with panko crumbs…and made spaghetti with colatura last night…really good stuff.

quite an ingredient…though I haven’t figured out much more to do with it than flavor pasta…which is enough, I guess.

Stuart,

I add a dash to all braised dishes. Similar to Fish Sauce it add umami

1 Like

A little more costly than fish sauce…

I do add some anchovy paste to braises usually…but…this stuff is a little too…costly for that…in my house. [stirthepothal.gif]

I have had the Markys “00” Filet of Cantabrian anchovy. They are very similar to Don Bocarte. Order from Markys.com

Order in :slight_smile:

Justin, thanks for the tip. These were indeed very good. I think the price came out similar or slightly lower than ordering Don Bocarte through Despana, but Markys had another product that is relatively cheap and fantastic - sardine filets cures like anchovies:

https://www.markys.com/Smoked-Salmon-and-Seafood/Sardine-Fillets-0.11-lbs..html

These are not at all like any canned sardine as they are cured and not cooked. The texture is softer than the anchovies and they are less salty.

Glad you liked them. These are like crack to me. I haven’t had anything else quite as good. Cetara seem to be the best anchovies I’ve found but AFAIK there are only a couple of producers you can get stateside. Also, if you haven’t tried the Colatura from them, it’ll blow your mind.

Any new finds by anyone? I need to reload for my caesar dressing and other things.

If I understood correctly, there are only four producers anyway. These anchovies are really good. I had some salt-packed anchovies in the past but they were dry-packed, harder to work with and not as reliable in texture after rehydration. These ones packed in brine are great. I bought the Colatura as well.

I don’t know if they are readily available in the US; but, I can highly recommend the Cantabrian anchovies (Anchoas del Cantabrico) of Conservas Telva.
BB28887E-01FF-4D60-8AE5-4A7A01D097C4.jpeg

These are the freshest tasting salt packed anchovies I’ve ever tried. Very surprised with how great these are.

https://www.almagourmet.com/store/armatore-cetaras-salted-anchovies-alici-di-cetara-sotto-sale-p-1912.html

I have a couple of jars of these as well but haven’t opened them yet. They look more or less identical to the Nettuno ones.

For many years, one of our favorite dishes has been Marcella Hazan’s pasta with Tuna Sauce. I made it tonight and finished my bowl with a little Colatura and some Madagascar black pepper. Amazing upgrade.

Not really in the same vein as these canned/bottles anchovies but the fresh anchovies we had at the Anchovy Bar was amazing. They also have salted anchovies from different sources, but the fresh ones were my favorite. Great restaurant if you like seafood.
anchovy bar.jpg

In Spain (though I see it most in the north/Basque region), they have this pintxo called “matrimonio” (and variants of such name): one that involves a combination of (fresh) boquerónes & (cured) anchoas. Excellent stuff.

Marinated bouquerones are my favorite, get them at Whole Foods
B5F0EC6D-B588-4A48-AFE8-6D454639AF57.jpg