Anniversary Weekend in Napa...(now with notes: Schramsberg/J. Davies, R-M, Mending Wall, Raymond)

Ahh - thanks. Thought you were staying at a winery there for a second. Will look it up.

Grenada was a lot of fun. Very quaint island that will be growing (lots of construction). Kids at camp for a couple weeks, so did last minute miles and points trip. It was beautiful there. Snorkling / Diving is incredible.

I too love Redd. I preferred the old look of the dining room to the new, but still my favorite place in the area.

I’ve had a number of Napa Valley locals strongly recommend Redd as the best food for a fancy dinner in the area, excluding French Laundry from consideration. I’ve eaten at Bistro Jeanty and enjoyed it, though it was undoubtedly a considerably more casual environment. As this is a 10th Anniversary dinner, I’m going a bit more upscale. I’ll post a big thread when all is said and done, complete with restaurant reviews. I’ll be damn near caddy-corner to Bouchon Bakery, and plan to just walk over, get pastries and coffee, and walk back into my hotel room each morning. I’m just jealous Todd is getting to go now and I have to wait a few weeks.

Happy Anniversary Tood! we will be going up next week as well…have a great anniversary weekend! champagne.gif

Like every bottle, every dinner is a unique experience, sorry for the bad one at Jeanty, that’s surprising.

John, walking over to Bouchon is a good idea, you’ll find plenty of options there. You can get coffee there, but there is also a coffee bar just a half block down on your side, in an old train car.

Wow, the parade of Berserkers into Napa/Sonoma continues! Have a wonderful time, both of you. I’m sure Jen will be over the moons.

Mike

At Torc, the Hamachi Crudo is an absolute must! A good thing is that it’s on the Taste of Torc menu as of today, which itself is also a really great deal.

Happy Anniversary!

A couple of notes-
Compline next to the Archer is great for bottles and bar food (as well as dinner) and Cadet (across the street and down the alley) is the most fun wine bar in town. It gets lively on weekend nights.

+1 for compline since we are wine geeks. They also have a little wine shop in the front of restaurant if you want to grab a bottle for the room.

Scherrer Open House is this weekend Fri-Sun. Come over the hill and enjoy the laid back life!

Aren’t the best gifts made from grapes? champagne.gif

Happy anniversary.

Happy Anniversary Jen and Todd!

I went to Redd about a year ago and thought it was very good. I was advised to avoid the wine pairings but I didn’t heed this advice and felt like I wasted my money on the wine pairings as they were very disappointing, the food was great though.

“Heh, heh heh, he said he’s going to give her wood…”
1F5C4004-C6DA-42A1-B6CF-557A70F36A2C.jpeg

Happy anniversary! Never been to those restaurants so sorry no feedback. Hope you guys have a wonderful time.

Definitely going to Cadet and/or Compline when we have free time, probably between tastings and dinner.

Last night at Redd was meh. Both did the chef’s tasting menu with wine pairings (didn’t see the ‘don’t get the wine pairings’ note here until this morning) and I actually thought the wine pairings were better than the food. Several dishes were spectacular, like the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare, Alaskan Halibut, and Crisp Duck Confit, but other dishes like the Sashimi of hamachi, New York Steak and Lamb Loin were quite disappointing. Definitely not worth the $$ in my book.

Of the wine pairings, I thought they all paired well with the dishes, and some of the wines were quite nice, like the Stony Hill dry Riesling and the GSM (can’t remember the producer, never heard of it when he told me) blend paired with the Duck Confit. The surprise was the Petit Sirah paired with the glazed pork belly, which had a very intense savory sauce, perfectly complimented by the Petit Sirah - I’d never have thought to put those two together, and it was a great match.

On to tastings, today!

Let me second that!

I plan to tell them in person!!

I was surprised to see Todd’s note praising the wine pairings but pounding the food a bit as this statement is my experience with literally every single wine pairing at restaurants I’ve ever experienced. I always think, oh this will be neat and interesting and an opportunity to try some things I’d never normally select. The result is almost always “well, I recall why I wouldn’t normally select those things…”

I’ve been advised to hammer the apps at Redd and will avoid the tasting menu!

Well I’m very glad that you didn’t see my post as you enjoyed the pairings a lot, sounds like I might have to give them another try the next time I’m out there.