Another Italy Thread! (Seeking Advice in Chianti)

Buondonno looks great. Looking at swapping out a tasting for a visit there. Also, can never have enough gelato recs! Thanks!

This! Went in 2019 we did 5 nights in Florence and ate here two nights. Amazing and came highly recommended by the St Regis… they made the bookings and we were taken care of each night… amazing service and each night the restaurant gave us free vin santo and desserts! The cheesecake was amazing and so light. Highly recommend. Doesn’t break the bank either.

At Fèlsina do the tasting with meats and cheeses. All made on site.

Oh yeah for lunch by Fèlsina in the town is La Taverna della Berardenga… eat there! This was a top meal and was dirt cheap. We ordered the specials and a couple of things… the special that day was white bean with cold pork and olive oil… I dream of this simple perfect dish. The pork was fresh boar. Felsina on tap too. Seriously this is a can’t miss. They also had fresh wild boar ribs too… simpled grilled over wood and a dry rub of spg.

It is a bar and no English (or at least they don’t want to speak it)

I don’t know if the plan is changeable, but there is a LOT of travelling between locations, checking in/out, packing/unpacking. Fine if it’s an organised tour and you like that sort of holiday, but if doing it under your own steam, you might find these transfers time-consuming, frustrating and stressful.

On obvious change would be taking the night from Modena and giving it to Bologna. Modena is super close by bus or train, and IIRC services run quite late, so even a full day and evening meal can fit around public transport (and I daresay a taxi would not be super-pricey). Sette Tavoli in Bologna is good and nicely understated. Whilst the outside dining is on the street (via Cartoleria IIRC) it’s a very quiet little street, so works well. We’ve chosen outside whenever we’ve been. Decent wine list there as well with great regional variety (supporting their food philosophy).

Enoteca Italiana have a very wide collection, plus a good selection of other wine adjacent stuff e.g. jars, olive oils, chocolates etc. They also have a few high tables/chairs for stopping for a coffee / glass of wine etc. and some light food. It’s a good setup - not the cheapest, as I find hem maybe 5-10% more expensive than other places in Bologna (e.g. the oddly named Caffe Bazar that’s my favourite).

If reasonably fit, I will recommend climbing the one of the due torri that is open, but I think they changed it so you have to book. Fine views and this can help orientation in the city.

A quirky recommendation now - Kelemata for their Arome e Spezi range of deodorants (and shower gel / bath foam). I usually buy a dozen or more every trip as I much prefer these to deodorants in the UK. There are two shops in Bologna, both reasonably near the centre - from memory on Via dell’Independenza and on a corner of Via Ugo Bassi near the covered market.

If you make to to Amalfi, then do fit in a cake from Andrea Pansa - they’re very good indeed. Also the walking is wonderful on the coast, with the Sunflower series ‘pocket’ book invaluable (not always the best directions, but good enough). Given the volume of fancy restaurants planned, you may need to do the Sentiero degli Dei (Pathway of the gods) walk! If looking for a winery visit in the region, Marisa Cuomo in Furore is a standout in both red and white. Also worth fitting in if you have the chance is a ferry trip. I’m personally not a fan of Positano, but there is no denying it’s a feast for the eyes when arriving/departing by boat. I did however like the walk down from Nocelle/Montepertuso to Positano, which is so easy to navigate as you’re so high up the destination remains in view for much of the walk. Always make time to take in the views in the region - they are stunning.

For specifics on Praiano, it’s become a favourite of people on the SlowEurope travel forum so maybe worth checking in there

Carleone’s wines are great, In Radda also check out Val delle Corti and eat at le Panzanelle.
Cecchini is super fun and you can bring your wines.
For the Bologna trip I would highly recommend driving 15 -20 minutes and have lunch at Osteria del Mirasole in San GIovanni in Persiceto. It’s a fantastic place and consistently regarded as one of Italy’s best trattoria.

Hi Jay- any recommendations on the menu or standout dishes ? We’re going in 2 weeks.

cheers

1 Like

Just starting to plan our trip for next summer. On our honeymoon(15 years ago) we went to Buca Mario in Florence and it was awesome. Didn’t see it mentioned at all in this thread. Wondering if anyone has been there recently and if it’s still good as it was a nostalgic place for us.

I can strongly recommend Enoteca Bruni, not to far from where Parione was (I think maybe they are casualties of the pandemic, though not certain). Additional recommendation for Nerocarbone Bistrot.

I’ll arrive in Firenze on 30 Sett for a dinner, then move to Montefalco area for 5 days before settling in Greve for 3 weeks. After, I’m in Monforte d’Alba for a month if anyone is passing through and wants to share some time.