Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

In case this will help anyone else:

OK, I solved the connectivity problem in a kludgy way (will have to see if I will be able to get the intended non-kludgy way to work now that the firmware update is downloaded).

1. Trying the same approach as I previously tried on my iPhone but with my ancient iPad Mini 2 (iOS 12.4.8, since it can’t run more recent iOSs) didn’t work when trying to sign into my exciting Anova Oven account that I was using on my iPhone. It wouldn’t let me sign in to my account, even if I entered my email address, and it kept trying to force me to “sign in with Apple” and hanging up there. Reinstalling didn’t make any difference.

2. Getting desparate, I created a new Anova Oven account on my iPad and signed in with Facebook. However, this didn’t work either when trying to log into my network (which happens to have no problems with my 2 MacBooks, iPhone, iPad, 2 Alexas, 2 Joules and a HP printer).

3. Going into totally kludgy workaround territory, I tried using my iPhone LTE connection as a wireless hotspot…AND FINALLY, the oven gave me the option of updating the firmware (1.0.1) and then finishing setting up!!!

Right now I’m using my iPhone wireless hotspot. I’ve no idea if I will be able to get it to work with my network, like it is supposed to do.
Given the years of trouble people have had with the Anova sous vide app, even after its update last year, I was worried about the Oven being a connected device and jumping on board before any reviews came out. However, Anova bragged about designing the Oven app “from the ground up”, which gave me some confidence that the company might have turned over a new leaf.

This experience, wasting perhaps 3 hours of my time (and who knows how much more to come), is severely disappointing. Anova, you should seriously consider firing your entire connectivity group, or whomever you outsource the designs of this aspect of your products. After all these years, it’s pretty clear they suck at their jobs. Which is sad for a company that claims to be pioneering the connected kitchens of the future.

Anova and simple connectivity in the same sentence… they have never been able to get connectivity right. Never.

I had absolutely no issues with 2 different iPhone 11.

Anybody actually cook anything?

George

Looks like no steam oven for me pileon

Evidently, if you are a bread baker, this is a must have.

The main reason I did not buy an Anova sous vide. I get fairly shitty reception at my place. No way was I going to tie a kitchen appliance to connectivity.

To be fair, neither the Anova sous vide or the Anova oven requires you to use a smartphone (although it the latter case, it did want me to download a firmware update). Joule is the one that requires a smartphone (and I have 2 of those, and never a problem connecting lol).

Yes. Absolutely no real need for WiFI connection. I have it connected but haven’t used it yet.

George

This looks really interesting. I like the size as it looks quite useable, but that also makes it a bit big for a countertop appliance.
Watched Kenji’s unboxing video (I thought he was going to use it when I clicked to watch).
I’d really love to hear from some of you once you start using it, especially those who try some version of low/slow (or when you would have previously sous vide), then sear with it.

It’s definitely bigger than I expected, but since I have no room no matter how big it is, I just have it sitting on top of the stove lol. It takes up as much space as my chamber vacuum (but with “bagless sous vide” in the APO, I guess I’ll be using that a lot less). Plan to get a cart so I can roll it elsewhere when I’m not using it.
IMG_3276.jpg

Doing baguettes today. Will report back.

George

Ours is arriving today-not sure what to try first. We’ll probably take a run at something this weekend. It might take some getting used to, but I’m looking forward to it!

Steamed & roasted whole cauliflower with tahini, dukkah & Aleppo peppers in Anova Precision Oven

356°F/100% steam x 25m; 482°F/0% steam x 20m (rotate a couple of times while roasting), finish with salt, EVOO, tahini, dukkah, Aleppo pepper flakes (a bit of lemon juice would be nice too)
2020-1018 APO cauliflower with tahini, dukkah, Aleppo peppers.jpg

I’ve had mine for a couple weeks now. The preset on the app for Sourdough doesn’t work for me. The loaf comes out almost burnt. There’s also no prolonged preheat mode, which is needed. I asked Scott if he could add it to the preset.

I’ve been testing different loaves at different temp combinations. Some have worked beautifully and some haven’t. I’m still on the learning curve.

I mist the loaves heavily before I put them in, even with the 100% Steam function on. The fan sets the crust too quickly without it and there’s no way to disengage the fan while Steam is on. That said, the crust on the Anova bread is super blistery and yet nicely thin.
01607359-B235-4969-9546-3AAAA4675B14.jpeg
43A41883-0466-486F-AEF7-FA28F3CD0172.jpeg

Wings & football, of course (one of my teams lost, and the DVR holds the secret of the other…).

I tried Anova’s APO recipe, two different ways:

1. Only 2 hours air drying in the fridge, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly, spraying on a light coating of avocado oil
  2. 24 hours air drying, and skipped the oil

Didn’t have a rack, so just put them on the Anova sheet pan and flippd half way. Finished with 50:50 Frank’s Red Hot:butter sauce.

Obviously inspired by Kenji:

Both were great (better than 99.5% of restaurant Buffalo wings!), but largely indistinguishable from each other. Whether the oil helped crisp the 2 hr air dried ones, I don’t know. Didn’t seem any greasier (most of the oil rendered to the corner of my warped Anova pan lol).

In the future, I’ll skip the oil. Makes less of a mess in the oven. Yeah, could have done this in the regular oven (no steam involved), but at least this little guy heats up faster.

The Anova Precision Oven is a GRILLED CHEESE MACHINE!

1. 10 min to warm up to 482°F/0%/Top+Rear & Fan (need to use app to do this)

2. While warming up, make your favorite cheesy sandwich and spread a very thin (as thin as you can get it) layer of Hellman’s mayonnaise on the exteriors of the sandwich (I’m sure you could use butter if you prefer)

3. 6-7 min on Anova rack on level 2 (counting from top), with sheet pan below to catch any drips (there weren’t any)

4. Flip & rotate after 4 min

5. Rotate if needed to even out the toasting (the portion closest to the fan may brown faster)

6. ENJOY! Can’t get a better grilled cheese in a pan.

Elapsed time: 17 min from start to eating.
IMG_3564.jpg

Both the sandwich and wings look great, Kevin. But…I have to ask (at least for the grilled cheese…wings I can see being better): WHY? I can have a great grilled cheese in a pan in about 10 minutes, max. Is it more about the tinkering and hobby of it? I’m truly seeking to understand.

This was better than any grilled cheese I’ve ever made in my life. It was so good, I had 2 more for dinner lol. And I didn’t have anything to clean up. YMMV

I finished a rather large pork shoulder 6 hrs sooner than I expected last weekend and used the oven to rest/hold the meat until serving time. Just wrapped it up in butcher paper and set 140 degrees/rear. This resulted in the best pulled pork I’ve tasted. No more worrying about timing with bbq!

Didn’t the mayo get on the rack?