Anthill 2011 Release

Order in. Mixed case. Took all my allocated Syrah. Skipped the Anderson Valley Pinot in favor of the single vineyards.

They may be “light” compared to sea smoke or KB but make no mistake, these are California Pinots and are vigorously fruited.

I have really enjoyed their Syrah over multiple vintages. Great buy for $18. I celebrated Rosh Hashanah last night with a 2006 Peters Sonoma Coast PN. Some lovers of primary fruit would say it is over the hill, but to me the wine was mature and beautiful!

Also, have had great customer support. One of my few must buys every release.

Kinda upset, just found out that a local restaurant featured Anthill Wines by the glass for a week and nobody told me about it. I am assuming they were the 2011’s, and it would’ve been nice to preview a few before buying.

That would be surprising that a restaurant in Ohio would get 2011s before they were released to the mailing list. Regardless which vintage they were offering, that they were pouring multiple Anthills is pretty awesome. I am travelling to Cinci next week and driving through Dayton. Which restaurant?

Boca, they are doing a Hirsch dinner in a few weeks too, but I don’t know much on the details, I think Jasmine Hirsch is giving a talk on the “extreme sonoma coast” earlier in the day. You’re probably right that it was the 2010s instead.

I’m not familiar with Dublere, but I have often compared Anthill’s Anderson Valley wines to Domaine Francois Bertheau… and Bertheau is one of the elite estates of Chambolle-Musigny, IMO. Certainly, Anthill and Bertheau wines are not “the same,” but similar in stylistic targets and very compatible served in the same meal or tasting. I’m still distressed by the early demise of AHF’s 2006’s and 2005’s, but cannot resist this offering.

But let’s be honest with ourselves concerning personal preferences. The style here is more delicate and elegant than most, striving for intensity on the palate but delivered in an airy, weightless framework. Those who like richer, more flamboyant wines should probably look elsewhere than AHF, and Bertheau too.

I bought all the PN’s, but passed on the Syrahs. Had to draw the line somewhere - running out of space.

Just popped the '09 Demuth and will just say that this is definitely in the lighter camp of PNs. It is interesting that Rhys is always held up as a poster boy for the new generation on CA PN that are made in a more “burgundian” spirit. AHF PNs are imho much lighter in touch, but, yes, they are CA PN with all the fruit that comes with that.
I’ll also say that I find that their Sonoma Coast wines are more fruity, but that they have help up as well and some times better, than the AV wines.

The 2011 Campbell Ranch and Tina Marie wines are delicious, had them each again recently. Bit of drift, as I know the release listed above features the other wines from 2011 but I am just weighing in some support for what these guys do. I really appreciate their style now.

FWIW, to get back on topic, I can add some notes on all of these, both the Demuth and Abbey, too.

• 2011 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Tina Marie Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (9/1/2013)
    Tasted blind. This showed similar to the previous two time I have drank it. Impressive. Strawberry, terrific balance, with binc cherry, red apple, acid and some herb. Reminds me of the 2011 Wind Gap Sonoma Coast, without the WG’s stem inclusion. And, this finished 1st place of the 7 CA Pinots we tasted blind. I still think the 2011 Anthill Campbell Ranch is better than the Tina Marie, with the former being more ageworthy and the latter being something that will drink and show fantastic more short term.
  • 2011 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Campbell Ranch Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/28/2013)
    Took this to an outside patio dinner and I had it pretty cool as it was in the high 70s outside. It started off rather stemmy, an aspect that showed quite strongly when I first opened it but this quality seemed to fade off with more air, at least I didn’t notice it and was not something I found in the first bottle in April. With about 3 hours of air (like the last bottle that had 4-5 hours), it really showed fantastic. Red and blue notes, a bit rocky. I shared damn near 1/2 the bottle with the restaurant staff so nothing more to taste today? Did it hold up a WOTY candidate again–maybe, and I could better focus in on it today but none left. Will order a few more, as what I saw last night, even with only the 2-ish glasses was a very good pinot noir again.
  • 2011 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Abbey-Harris Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (4/7/2013)
    Tasted with Anthony, up at the winery. Man, this is tannic. He says the conditions really affect the skins of these grapes, causing it to thicken and react to where it grows. Of all the 2011s we tasted with him, this was the tightest to me, really standing out. Juicy, lean red fruits and strawberry. Will need time to settle down and will be an ager, one to taste again in a year to see where it is headed.
  • 2011 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Demuth Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (4/7/2013)
    Added to the database, looks like I am first one into the mix here. I tasted this next to the 2010 Knez Demuth and I will say, I like that wine more. Here, I perceive a darker and denser wine, with raspberry hard candy, juicy and good acid, just a darker quality.

Posted from CellarTracker

FMIII, can you talk more about the wines that are in current release? I see the notes, but wondered if you had any extra insight. Thanks!

Dusty, I think Boca had the 2011 Sonoma Coast pinots that were already released, not the new AV/Mendocino release.

JS, nothing more to add. I tasted those wines in April and kept pretty good notes.

By the way, popped an '09 Comptche Ridge for a tasting last night that was delicious. Very California but with sufficient elegance to please this very AFWE palate.