Any Good Pot Roast Recipes?

Randy, it’s not pot roast, but it’s close, and it’s FANTASTIC!! I made this a few nights ago - ridiculously easy, very few ingredients, and no leftovers because it was so delicious. I added a little corn starch/water slurry to the sauce after removing the meat and the gravy is very highly concentrated, great on roasted potatoes.

It’s amazing, trust me. I enjoyed some 2007 Clos l’Eglise with it - perfect match.

Not a hit at our place. A bit too sour between the sherry vinegar and the cranberries.

The two best versions I’ve made involve:

• Lots of crimini mushrooms sauteed in butter and with beef stock instead of wine. This makes for a very intense, rich liquid.

• There’s a great recipe in Marcella Hazan’s first cookbook with white wine, porcinis and a relatively small amount of tomato paste. Really tasty!

You can include onions or carrots or other vegetables as you please, and season to your taste.

Both yield very savory dishes that match well with a wide range of wines.

Tried another serious eats recipe last week and was very happy. One of the easiest recipes I’ve done (not that pot roast is rocket science) and the results were superb. Leftovers sliced with some of the onion on top made for an inspired sandwich the following week. I added a dash of port to the stock.

Growing up, it was a chuck into the slow cooker with a packet of Lipton’s french onion soup mix and some water. I remember liking it a lot with noodles.

I use beef broth instead of water. Also some soy and a dash of rice wine vinegar along with the red wine. I also use chuck and simmer 4+ hours until super tender. I make sure there’s lots of liquid to make a load of gravy. I’ll use some of the leftovers to make the greatest loco moco known to man.