Anyone drinking ASD process coffee?

I hear people say that but with setting the roaster up outside I was spending at least half an hour, probably a bit more, with much of that actively watching to know when to stop the roast. It just wasn’t worth it to me and I really felt that while the results were very good they weren’t ever going to be what a truly top roaster can do. Perhaps if I had more time I’d revisit the process.

2 Likes

Based on this thread I ordered two from Klatch, a Yirgacheffe Worka and the Uraga Guji. Both are really wild, extreme coffees. I wouldn’t call the fruit profile fake, just really funky and fermented. Lots of wine notes on each of these coffees. Sitting here trying to work out what kind of wine this tastes like. I’d say the Worka shows a lot of blueberry, dark chocolate, and cabernet notes. Definitely the most intensely fruity coffees I’ve ever tasted. An interesting experience. I think I like it. Yes, I like it.

1 Like

I’ve had one like that. It was so funky that it reminded me of natural wine, not in a good way. It was very expensive and I didn’t finish the bag. My wife couldn’t even get through a cup. I don’t remember exactly what it was. Some type of anaerobic process, though.

Any idea if there’s ASD green coffee on the market? I wonder if it has any impact on the roasting process.

There are sown places that sell green beans. Most are very expensive. Burman is less so, but the only one in stock is Colombian.

love me some burman. been a long time customer. l
ately i’ve been buying a bean from Nicaragua which i like a lot, very consistent.
i’ve been consuming a lot less coffee with my espresso machine is storage, just using an aeropress.

No to hijack the thread, but coffee consumption for us is consistent. We alternate between espresso/lattes and brewed coffee. I’ll be buying more beans soon, as I prefer to roast outside and it’s almost warm enough to do so again.

there’s an outstanding coffee shop in the Highland Park neighborhood of LA called Kumquat. they ship bags of beans.

https://www.kumquatcoffee.com/

They carry a rotating selection of roasters from around the world. I’ve had a couple anaerobic natural (no mention of ASD) beans from them that had the most pronounced blueberry aroma/flavor that I’ve ever experienced. The Momos (from Busan, South Korea) Panama Ninetyplus Gesha is $$$ but refined and really aromatic. The April (from Copenhagen) costa rican anaerobic gesha beans were also very fruity yet delicate. there’s probably some batch variation given variable roasting dates, etc., but those were the ones I remember being worth trying for that blueberry note.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that link, Fred. I will definitely check out Kumquat the next time I need a bag of coffee or three.

I think anaerobic=asd.

I did just get some coffee from Klatch which included an asd Yirgacheffe Worka that was described by only the word blueberry. For me, the blueberry is in the background but it’s an excellent cup of coffee and not quite as complicated as the Guji from Klatch described previously.

https://www.klatchroasting.com/collections/single-origin/products/ethiopia-yirgacheffe-worka-anaerobic-natural-gr1

It seems like the asd process is gaining a bit of popularity. In the recent past, I’ve purchased Ethiopian Worka from Red Rooster, Ethiopian Keramo from Olympia and various Wilton Benitez from Big Shoulderswhich I believer are from Columbia. I’ve also purchase some non asd Wilton Benitez coffees from JBC. All have been excellent, although not inexpensive. For what it’s worth, Wilton Benitez coffees were rated the #1 and #13 coffees of 2023 by Coffee Review. Their coffees are excellent.

It seems like most of the lots are small and sell out quickly, but here’s a few links:

https://www.bigshoulderscoffee.com/coffee/lightroast

Cheers!

2 Likes

Dragonfly Coffee Roasters currently has an end of year sale on Elida Estate ASD Natural, $25 for 12 oz vs usual $35.

-Al

1 Like