Anyone familiar with Orin Swift's 8 Years in the Desert?

8 years in the desert is not long enough for that guy.

So they upped the price to pay for the making of the video? Really…is this even a wine that people want to be paying that much for?

I will admit that Originally I loved the Prisoner back in the 2004 vintage when I was first getting into wines over $25/bottle. However, it’s just not something that I see a lot of people wanting…am I this far out of touch? Folks ITB…is it selling really well?

My guess is they’re dipping their toes into the word of super-premium wine, hoping their name recognition will pay off. Ernest and Julio did the same years back.

Totally agree! I dug the 2004 and 2005 prisoner. Fairly unique and interesting wines with a distinct smokiness on the finish (what I remember most). Good for Phinney for making a boatload of money…but clearly the focus shifted towards that compared to attempting to make compelling wines for the wine-geek crowd.

No idea what to even make of this new venture. Guess when you’ve already made hundreds of millions…you can afford to get ‘creative’ and make weird-ass videos.

You haven’t lived until you’ve read the book of poetry & prose that goes with it…

According to the Fact Sheet:

56% Zinfandel, 34% Petite Sirah, 10% Syrah

“Eight Years in the Desert” is all about the “varietal” Zinfandel, yet it’s barely over half composed of the grape? :neutral_face:

Nooooo … the very idea is terrifying!

A few weeks Dave Phinney came to Cleveland and had a wine tasting at a local restaurant. He spoke extensively about this wine.
It is in fact a zin blend and the name does come from the expiration of the 8 year non-compete on the sale of Prisoner. The reason for the price has a lot to do with the packaging. Each 8 bottle box is hand made using linen. He said it takes a full day to assemble just one box. He is a master at packaging and labeling and it has worked well for him. The wine was good, not great, but I thought it could use some age or at least a decant to be able to tell its full potential. I think the Carlisle, Bedrock and Limerick Lane zins (just to name a few) are better and at a much lower price but I do think most will find this a well made wine.

Not a fan of the wine, but I do admit to liking the labels. Always eye catching and attractive. You drink with your eyes, I guess.

So, you are saying it tastes like a premium California pinot noir?

It’s called “8 Years In The Desert” because “If You See Kay” was already taken.

Never heard of this wine. However, I have absolutely loved every Orin swift wine I’ve ever had. Including the ones produced in Maury France. One producer to watch imo.

We have it for $41.99 / bottle - no price gouging here

8 years in the dessert 2016 is a gift box set of 8 custom label bottles from Dave Phinney. Its supposed to symbolize his contract when he originally sold Prisoner stating that he couldn’t work with Zinfandel for 8 years.

They’re selling 8 years in the dessert 2017 by the btl/case and is different from the 2016 limited edition box.

Good for him. I hope he sells a boatload.

Lots of wine out there that many on this board would never spend the money for - and even more wines talked about, purchased and consumed on this board that the vast majority of folks will never spend the money for . . .

Cheers.

Local shop today had an offer for $40. No thanks. Looks like the 16 is fetching the higher bucks.

Our LWS has it for $35. I’m not sure I would like zinc and petite Sirah anyway.

Just got this offer today from a local wine store.

2017 Orin Swift ‘8 Years In The Dessert’ (A California blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah & Syrah)

$44.99 per bottle with shipping included on 6 bottles or more

Once again our good friend, winemaker David Phinney, has mixed wine with performance art to great effect in his stunning return to the grape that first inspired his genius. I am not entirely sure about the imagery or iconography surrounding 8 Years In the Desert (and a trip to the website proved only more confusing) but Dave calls his return to making Zinfandel his most personal wine to date and, perhaps, his most important and I believe him. From a vinous standpoint, one thing is for sure, Phinney sure knows how to rock the Zin. Here he’s blended it with Petite Sirah, Syrah and a mysterious tincture of other grapes to create a wine of incredible personality and the panache that will remind Phinney Phans of the first Prisoner, the wine that turned conventional thinking about Zin on its ear. There’s drama here- the irrepressible richness of a compote of mixed berries and brambly spice too, like the canes of a blackberry patch in late summer, and hints of white pepper, vanilla bean, bitter chocolate, freshly turned earth, all kinds of things! Phinney’s wines never lack for the unique alchemy of the master blending and this might be one of his biggest triumphs. Smooth and delicious, it’s a wine whose finish goes on and on and will taste great alongside big, bold, highly-flavored meats and cheeses as well as all by its lonesome, the preferred way of many phans to enjoy their Phinneys. Just arrived, we suspect our allocation will disappear in very short order.

Enjoy!

Is yours one of the 36 states that disallow fine wine retailers to send to you?

John Rittmaster

Wine Director

PRIMA

1522 N Main Street

Walnut Creek CA 94596

925-945-1800

i saw this at a local shop today for less than $50. made me wonder how much someone woulda been paying for the OWC in the box set

I was at a nice dinner (steakhouse) on Friday evening. I had taken a 2011 Gourt de Mautens (Jerome Bressy) Vaucluse Rouge and a 2007 Ridge Lytton Springs. At one point during the meal, after I had tried both of my wines, the server brought me a sample of 8 Years in the Desert. This is my regular server, she knows my taste in wine and I know hers (very new world) so this was almost a little bit of a joke, but the restaurant has just received this wine the day before and she was excited about it, so I gave it a try. I am not sure what the residual sugar level is in this wine, but the word stratospheric comes to mind. I felt as if someone had liquefied fermented grape jelly and that was what I was drinking.