Anyone going to the WS Grand Tasting in SF?

Matt,

I’ve not done the WS deal, but I’ve done a number of large trade type tastings and charity events with sponsored pours of various wines from all over the world. Consider the cost against the number of 1 to 1.5 oz pours you are likely to handle, and the producers that you’d like to try. If the cost makes sense relative to the experience you’re likely to have, then go.

I’ve found such tastings extremely fun, and occasionally very educational. Since the distributors and sometimes winery representatives are present, you can learn a lot about the wines from a few minutes conversation. Moveover, while you can’t necessarily try wines against their direct peers, as Nick suggested, you will be able to try wines against peers from different regions. The distinctions in flavor profile and structure are also educational. It’s not the height of wine geekdom, but it’s good education.

It’s okay that it’s likely to be a Wine Spectator point orgy. At least some critic was a fan of the wines. Cross reference those critics and their notes against your own, and decide for yourself whether the scores are worthy. That’s part of all of our wine-geek development, and it’s pretty fun to do. Cheers.

Although not San Francisco, I gathered a group and we are going to the Chicago one on May 3rd. It’s not often at all we have a wine event like this in the city. Great social and learning event and that is what I am taking it for!

Thanks John- yes that’s exactly what I expect. I’ve been to plenty of trade tastings with a bunch of different wines poured. My main question in the OP, and perhaps I should have been clearer, was wondering who had been to a WS tasting and how well the tasting was organized, how easy to navigate, and how crowded it got. I’ve got my list mapped out and am hoping to get to as many as possible!

Enjoyed the tasting- well run, well laid out, easily maneuverable, no long lines. Really liked only 1 wine per table, that definitely helps with crowding. Some phenomenal wines too… at some point I’ll post notes to CT and link to this thread.

WS points whore!

[wink.gif]

[rofl.gif]