Anyone have experience with Jura Chardonnays?

Domaine Courbet makes a good and reasonably priced Chardonnay if you don’t mind the wine being bone dry and with high acidity. The style is not Burgundian, maybe comparable with a very cold vintage in Chablis.

Domaine Courbet makes a good and reasonably priced Chardonnay if you don’t mind the wine being bone dry and with high acidity. The style is not Burgundian, maybe comparable with a very cold vintage in Chablis.

I also like Rijckaert chardonnay, but they do resemble Burgundy for my taste. In spite of that, I buy if I find. They age well, too. Had the 1999 Pre-Leveron VV about 2 years ago and was impressed.

Some really excellent wines, and if they are kept properly, they will continue to evolve for years more.

However, the wines are very old-school Jura, i.e. oxidative. The wines are aged sous voile for 4-5 years before they are bottled, so they are rich, slightly oxidative and somewhat waxy with often a rather noticeable streak of Fino Sherry-like aldehydic tang. Not the most extreme examples of oxidative Jura whites, but definitely nothing modern or polished either. A missing link between oak-aged Chardonnay and Vin Jaune.

1 Like

This is really helpful Otto, much appreciated.

Domaine de la Pinte Chardonnay at lunch today would ft the bill if you squint a bit, good value at e30 in a restaurant.

I’m also a fan of Philippe Bornard’s Les Gaudrettes Chardonnay. Just the slightest of oxidation, but very much Juraesque for my taste.

I drink and collect a lot of Jura ouillé wines. I wouldn’t buy them if you are looking for a 1 to 1 Burgundy experience, but some can bring some of the goods from Burgundy with their own Jurassic soul.

Marnes Blanches makes one of the cleanest expressions. I buy a few bottles every year, both Chardonnay and Savagnin. They drink well enough after release, but really shines 4-5+ years after harvest. I had people guess Burgundy blind on their 2016 Les Normins two weeks ago.

Tissot also makes a lot of great ouillé Chardonnay, i have a lot of them in my cellar. Also look out for his ouillé Savagnin called Traminer!

Labet is an all time favourite for me. But the prices are going up and they are hard to find now. His entry Chardonnay (Fleur) is absolutely amazing. Had the 2018 a few weeks back and thats just a top wine for me regardless of the price. The other cuvees need some age. I am stocking up while i can.

Allente & Boulanger makes some amazing wines at times. To the funky side, but they are trained at Labet and the quality shows.

Francois Rousset-Martin makes some stunning reductive Chardonnay (and also makes amazing oxidative stuff). Look for La Chaux 2018. Warning: crazy high acidity and it needs some air.

Also had a Domaine de Saint Pierre, Chateau Renard, 2018, a few months back which was reminiscent of Francois Rousset-Martin’s La Chaux.

Les Dolomies also makes some great white ouille wines.

Ganevat has already been mentioned multiple times. It can be amazing, but some of his negociant bottles can be so so, and the prices are going up.

Had some decent stuff from the new Domaine des Carlines, who are primarily making ouillé single vineyard wines in Chateau Chalon…

Style and price wise you could also look for some of Marc Soyards Chardonnay’s from Burgundy?

Sous voile 7 ans [wow.gif]

So good!

Tatsed the Chateau-Chalon, Vignes aux Dames, 2012, in May. Such an elegant expression!

Very nice! :+1::+1:
What a unicorn!