Are you going to stop buying European tariff affected winei

I don’t know yet. If it is actually meaning 25% I can’t imagine I wouldn’t be inclined to say “pass” more often. If in place for a long time it may give me the backbone to finally stick with my yearly promise to buy no more Bord futures.

Talking with a retail friend. He expects distributors will jack prices even on existing stocks due to replacement cost.

I think this will get solved quickly. This all has to do with Airbus subsidies not food products.

[snort.gif] Funny! And true. And sad that we’re such geeks about it that we’ll pony up just because we’re compulsive about wine.

solving issues and disagreements seems to go against everything happening in politics pretty much everywhere in the world at this point in time

And if it is discovered that under 14% wines were relabeled to deliberately avoid the tariffs there will be serious consequences from US Customs for the importer of record. Even the labeling allowances won’t protect them.

If the WTO decision in the Boeing case is decided in favor of the EU, then it might get resolved…next year. If not, don’t hold your breath.

so if a wine is at 13.5% and labelling laws allow it to be labelled at 14.1%, then there can be repercussions for labelling as such? or is it the act of CHANGING that would be an issue?

Deliberately changing it to avoid the tariffs would be the issue.

p.s. US Customs does routinely request backup information/data to substantiate a product’s HTS code. If they were to ask for the data about a wine labeled 14.1% that was actually 13.5%, the tariffs would still apply regardless of labeling allowances.

Do you really think they are likely to go this deeply into the weeds, especially since it would be hard to find intent to defraud in a case where labeling laws allow approximate labeling? 14.1% would always be a suspicious declaration, but 14.5% is quite common and allowable for a 13.5% wine.

Yes, I do. The checks are significantly more common when there are tariff changes.

It is hard for me to penalize a grower and an importer for the temporary decision taken by a fool through no fault of their own.

Yes, but let’s remember that the Airbus case with the WTO that led to these tariffs was initiated around 2004.

It’s not a Twitter Tariff.

I don’t follow. Refusing to buy while prices are up has nothing to do with “penalizing” a grower. I’m not going to pay the tariff just because it wasn’t the producer’s fault

Entirely theoretical for me though. Not in the market for any of the wines that will be impacted

Absolutely

Nope. It’ll be a PITA, but, at the end of the day, I enjoy the wines too much and I’m not going to start buying a lot more domestic or Aussie wines because Sancerre got more expensive

I know one person who thinks we all will. Make Napa Great Again!

Hard to imagine a sancerre at 14.5% plus. I think you’ll be ok

Other way around Neal. The tariffs are on wines 14% or lower.