Are you swirling your wine in the correct direction?

The Coriolis Effect applies only to significant quantities of fluid. A couple of ounces of wine is neither impacted nor has an impact.

Does anyone take this seriously???

Brodie

I don’t.

Can people actually see you swirl when you’re drinking from the bottle? I call that a “splash and pull.”

Jim is of course correct. Coriolis effect has nothing to do with any of this. there is still a conceivable difference for those who think there may be.

Most right handers swirl counter clockwise because the first motion is to suddenly draw the wineglass toward yourself in a sudden slightly curved manner (try it). you get a smooth spin of the wine. If you try to go the opposite direction, it’s a bit unnatural and the wine tends to slop around some instead of smoothly spinning. I presume the opposite is true for left handers. So you could potentially get a difference in aeration rates of the wine, and therefore, different swirls could create a slightly different appearing wine. Otherwise, the rest of it is bogus.

I swirl up and down… violently.

Your comment agitates me, as there’s a joker in every group…

That’s what she said (he reciprocated)

Jerry: Now, the ending is kind of an option. I use the swirl. I like the swirl. I’m comfortable with the swirl. I feel the swirl is a great capper. He uses the pinch, which I find a little presumptuous.
George: Is it a clockwise swirl?
Jerry: I prefer clockwise, but it’s not written in stone.

Or throwing a curveball versus a screwball.

I think I’ve told this story before but I’ll repeat it:

A few years ago, I was on the other coast at the home of a friend (and contributor to this board). Another person who participates frequently on this board was also there. The three of us were concentrating on two different wines. Young and tight they were so lots of swirling and sniffing. No food yet. One of the gentlemen used a familiar descriptor for one of the wines - I can’t remember what it was, let’s say licorice - and the other person then smelled his glass of the same wine and cried, “yes!” So I figured I should smell it too - but I didn’t and said so. Shrugs all around. Then I said (and I swear I was kidding), “well, wait a minute - which direction do you swirl?” Both men laughed and then swirled so they could answer me - “counter-clockwise” both of them said. I said, “well, that’s the problem. I swirl clockwise. It smells different that way.” Lots more laughter. Then each of the men swirled his glass clockwise, stuck a nose in, and almost simultaneously looked up in wonder and exclaimed, “it does!”

ps - the wines were 1990 and 1993 Roumier Musigny. I don’t remember which one apparently smelled like licorice (or whatever it was).

[welldone.gif]

Very true, I actually tried to swirl “against the current” with both hands and couldn’t do it with either. Scott, that’s a true talent if you can swirl both ways!

I hate to go all Mitt Romney here but, yeah, participated in giving a kid or two in high school a swirlie.

[rofl.gif] That typically involves a sufficient quantity of liquid for the Coriolis Effect to be applicable.

Yip I’m pretty sure there is someone at the airport who checks to ensure the only right handed, counter clockwise swirling , good looking, bottle toting wine geeks are allowed into this country. [snort.gif]

You should if you ever want to get through customs again !!! [wow.gif]

Well, we need the critics to tell which way they swirled and what hemisphere they were in so we can assess the TNs more accurately. neener

I hear if you swirl Burgundy CCW it smells of roses, but CW it smells of donkey arse. [rofl.gif]

A few years ago, we tasted with the owner of a Napa winery in the Stags Leap area. He insisted we swirl clockwise and sniff through our left nostril. He was adamant that there were distinct differences between counter-clockwise swirling and sniffing through your right nostril. Hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

After reading that… I don’t know that I’ve ever had a more overwhelming urge to punch someone in the face,

I throw the wine directly in the air and catch it in my glass. Really top flight aeration