ARGENTINA

Maylynn, we flew from Santiago to Arica, where Barbara Knapton met us. If you drove, it would be an interesting adventure, I’m sure, but it would be a very time-consuming one–I’m betting it would take a couple of days, at least.

Thanks, gentlemen. I think we’re flying into Santiago, then exploring the city and local area.
Can we drive to Valparaiso? My fiance LOVES driving. I’m more concerned about safety and a reliable rental car. Oy!

You can drive, but I’m not sure that’s worth the hassle. I limited my driving to the parts that weren’t accessible otherwise.

BTW Argentina strongly devalued the peso today.

You could definitely drive. Chile’s roads are very good and the cars are the same ones you get here. Valparaiso itself could be very difficult to drive in though (tiny steep hill streets). We stayed in Vina Del Mar which is right next door, sort of a beachy vacation town, at the Sheraton Miramar, which was great. Normal roads around there, and we cabbed it into Valpo.

Late to join this thread… my wife and I honeymooned in Argentina. We did Buenos Aires, Cafayate and Patagonia.

On Patagonia, it’s not on your trip, but this may have been the highlight for us of the trip, and VERY honeymoon-ish whilst active at the same time:

If you go to Salta, you’ll definitely want to consider driving to Cafayate. The scenery is beautiful if you get sunny weather (which it usually is, although somehow we were unlucky). The wines are OK, a bit of a work in progress, although the torrents white is simple and delightful; and there is potential from the very high altitude Malbec.

I wonder if you should skip Santiago and spend more time in Buenos Aires or Patagonia or Cafayate.

Clayton

Thank you all! We are landing in Santiago and will head to Valparaiso by bus probably for a day and a half. We will return to Santiago, explore a bit and them we get to fly to Mendoza for seven days. We are excited to stay at the Casa Glebinias. We’ll have a private driver the whole time so I have to make a list of all the Mendoza wineries we should go to (so feel free to keep suggesting those). From there will head to Salta and we are debating in doing that train trip to the mountains??? Anyone do that? Is it worth the full day out? Also need to make a list of wineries in this area and surrounding vicinities. Not worries about Iguazu and B. A. We’ll be tourists there.

Thanks to everyone for helping us form our itinerary. Literally been forming it through all your suggestions! Thank you!

Sounds like a great trip, Maylynn–I’m sure you two will thoroughly enjoy yourselves. In doing research for our own trip to Salta, which will be in November, I’ve been thinking that hiring a car and driver for the route pretty much used by the train might be a better way to go. Lots of discussion about the train on Tripadvisor, if you’ve not checked that out already.

Thanks, Randall. I did see the reviews on Trip Advisor - we’re a bit torn on doing that for the full day. We read some bad reviews, and good reviews. So not 100% sure on it yet. Our travel agent also mentioned that there’s been rumors about it being shut down because it’s not very profitable. So we’ll see when we arrive if it’s even open.

First time I went to Argentina in 2007 there were already rumors that it might close… I haven’t taken that trip so can’t comment on it, though.

What happened to Iguazu? Is that still part of your trip?

Yes, we’re still going to Iguazu. We’re starting in Santiago, and heading east bound through Argentina then ending in Buenos Aires. We’re actually going to our travel agent tonight to pay for everything. it’s done :slight_smile:

Staying at the Sheraton? Bring your binocs if birds are of any interest–the grounds are fairly birdy.

Are you going to drive all of that? Including the border crossing from Chile to Argentina?

Great thread! Argentina is very high on my “must visit” list and we hope to get there soon. I noticed that there have not been a lot of restaurant suggestions in this thread. Any ideas in that direction?

Great stuff on cars, hotels, and wineries but how about some food!

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall

Yes, Randall… we’ll be at the Sheraton. Thanks for the tip, I just found my binoculars actually :slight_smile:

Hi Joe, we’re flying, not driving :slight_smile: thank goodness!!!

Yes, Marshall! Let’s talk about food!!! :slight_smile: Would love suggestions on restaurants!! Maybe i’ll begin new thread…

Go here for food thread: ARGENTINA-need restaurant recommendations - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers
thank you!!