Arnoux-Lachaux Les Suchots in the US?!

Yeah, that might be enough age to make me change my mind. [cheers.gif]

I’m not really sure that’s a good example. I had some 15 arnoux cm a couple months ago and it was pretty good. I did just look and it looks like it’s unavailable on wsp and the 14 was 300+ a bottle.

Anyways I had a 17 domaine dujac cm yesterday and it was also more dujac than cm.

I agree that Dujac has a distinctive house style. I just find it more acceptable than burgs I perceive as Parkerized, with loads of oak and extract. There were several burgundy producers who fell into that style 20-30 years ago. I feel the same happened in Piedmont.

But I readily agree that this is just my taste, and my opinion. I just don’t agree that my opinion only came about with the emergence of Charles Lachaux.

1 Like

They WERE really nice before … (imho), but whoever sees that differently - no problem … the present hype is quite artificial

(but granted, the new label is better …)

While there certainly might have been some down years, there are a lot of great wines I have tried from Arnoux pre 2013. Pascals early 2000 wines are really good, especially 2001 and 2002.

Those are Robert Arnoux’s wines though, not Pascal’s.

Seems pretty clear to me some people didn’t love Pascal’s wines even years ago. Orwellian to claim otherwise.

I very much enjoyed the suchot during the pascal regime. They were still the best producer of the vineyard to me

But I will say this. The only wines I consistently enjoyed during the pascal regime were the suchot.

Fair enough! Plenty of producers we disagree on. Makes the world more interesting. :slight_smile:

I said in my original post the Pascal wines had a more mixed opinion, not that they were uniformly disliked. Which is what’s playing out in the thread.

To get back to the original question: is it possible to find a vertical of this wine in US retail?

My guess is: no. And I think the answer would likely be the same for a similar vertical of any Red Burg 1er from any producer. (GO! Find exceptions! I know you can do it!). There just isn’t much back vintage Red Burg lurking in normal channels these days. Jadot Ursules? Some other very large volume/low demand wine?

Probably the only place to find this kind of vertical is in someone’s cellar. Otherwise, you’re poking around many retailer/auction sites over many months trying to put together the requisite bottles. Definitely a challenge to hunt down!

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, a lot of these bottles have been shaken loose over the last couple of years as the spotlight has focused on AL. I’ve seen private lists with sale prices all over the map. The sub blue chip status of these wines also likely means these have been drunk earlier / live in smaller cellars.

Personally, I’ve acquired a lot of the vintages you mentioned over the last 2 years off lists (1999, 2002, 2009, 2014, 2015)

Mike,

Your best bet are at auctions. Sometimes these will pop out at the usual places, Heritage, HDH, Sotheby’s, etc. They are quite rare though so it will take time to find all that you are looking for, and unfortunately as time goes by, the harder it is to find these. If I were to guess these are in the $600 - $1000 range right now. If you asked me this 2 years ago, they would have been in the $275 - $350 range (except for the 99, would have been in $450 two years ago).

I have the 99, 01, 06, 08, 10, 14, 15 of these but only recently had the 01 two years ago. In my limited experience, these need a lot of time sideways as there can be a bit of oak when they are young (pre-2014). A 1998 Suchots however was excellent back in 2014.

1 Like

BTW, although not on your list, the 2012 is hammering in a few hours at K&L wine auctions. This might give you an idea of what the current prices are, knowing that the vintages you seek are all more “desirable” vintages than the 2012 (maybe just on par with 2009).

1 Like

As a reference point I splurged (for me) on an A-L 2010 Suchots at Winebid for $290. They do pop up from time to time but are not common.

Just hammered for $563. $590-ish all-in.

Agree, probably a good barometer for the other vintages you are looking for.

My guess would be ~$700 for 99, 05, 10.

1 Like

I have very much enjoyed a couple of Robert’s bottles, quite a while ago now, but to my taste the Pascal bottles I have drunk have simply been ugly though I don’t at all discount the possibility that age may tame the excess gloop that is very far from being the sort of thing I’m looking for.
Irritatingly the Echezeaux 17 tonight was worth all the hyperbole and more, a quite sensational, deliquescent and weightless wine of astonishing originality, magical in its fragrance, lift and complete lack of corporeality, not really like anything I’ve had before and by some distance the most compelling expression of this vineyard(DRC and Gerard Mugneret were my previous benchmarks) I have been lucky enough to experience. What I can’t begin to imagine is how this will age, it is in no sense a crime to drink this now, though, and I suspect that’s a rather better option than keeping it unless one is going to keep it for a substantial period.

1 Like

Looking forward to checking these out. Paid a bit more than release price (low $400’s) as these are very recent purchases. Certainly the only chance I will get to tasting the new wines from Charles as there is no way I will pay current market prices for the 18’s (or 19’s).
arnoux 2017.jpg

1 Like

The prices now have gone truly mental. Village Chambolle for $500 a bottle and Nuits for $1250 a bottle. Corvees Pagets for almost $2000! Insane

nowadays the price is really crazy, up to the level of Liger Belair
I won’t pay a thousand dollars for a bottle of NSG

commerce corner

Why the disingenuous OP? Why not explain that your are looking to sell the wine on Commerce Corner and are trying to assess market value?