Art of The Deal

All of the above is great advice. Going straight to the source cuts out the middle steps and their corresponding mark-ups. Concentrating purchases maximizes the likelihood of better bottles being offered to you in the future.

That was my first step into the “great wine deals” club. Working at a wine shop part time will introduce you to wholesalers who you can develop relationships with and figure out creative ways around the three-tier distribution system. Wholesalers then introduce you to suppliers, who can get you even better deals!

This is the way.

Know that there will always be another deal.

Groupon!!

This is the way

The best way to save money on wine purchases is to not frequent wine forums. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I think wine-searcher combined with some email lists like Lopa or Envoyer are the best way to find good deals without much effort.

This. If you’re buying for your own consumption your metric is your palate, not a critic’s rating or market recognition. Paying 100% on a $50 wine you like is a better deal than getting 50% off a $150 wine you don’t like as much. You can find a lot of guidance on this forum. Berserker Days is a great opportunity to sample a lot of excellent wines.

I totally agree with this as well. If you’re one of those whose income hasn’t grown along with the prices of many wines you used to enjoy, you can still find lots of really interesting wines under $50, they just might not be from Bordeaux, Burgundy, or Napa Cab. I get as much enjoyment out of the $20 Grechetto I’m drinking now as I would a $40 Bourgogne Blanc. Different wines, different foods, different moods, but the quality level is similar.

If you’re looking at auction, look for producers that might be out of favor now, might have sold to a large conglomerate, or might be out of business but that at one time made nice wines. Over the past few months I’ve had 1994 Noceto Sangiovese, 1989 Cline Mourvedre, 1995 Matanzas Creek Merlot and 1987 Dry Creek Vineyards Merlot. All were drinking well, delicious, and the combined auction price for the 4 bottles total was right around $50.