Article: The era of grower Champagnes is over

It’s a tiresome point to make, but I do think it’s important to remember that this is about balance rather than the numbers. To take the examples cited above, the La Française with 3g/l instead of nine would likely be wincingly tart; whereas the Longitude with 9g/l would surely be cloyingly sweet. Cédric Bouchard’s wines are perfectly balanced without any dosage at all, and Olivier Collin’s are vinous and rich with between 1 and 2 grams per liter. While there certainly are, to my taste, some tart, excessively austere Champagnes being produced, let’s not reduce this, as some commentators tend to, to “add more sugar”!

It is also worth adding that “dosage” can be deceiving, as some vins clairs can retain appreciable levels of residual sugar (which is another factor among several that make tasting vins clairs especially challenging). For example, a base wine with 3 g/l RS that sees 5 grams dosage has higher sugar levels than a totally dry base wine that gets 6.5 grams per liter dosage.

Stop reading wine forum during work hour. champagne.gif

Well, I guess it depends on how you define “weight”. For me, the Larmandier has more weight: yields per hectoliter are lower, the fruit is riper, and I’d bet money that if you sent it to the lab you’d find it had appreciably higher levels of dry extract. The Taittinger contains more sugar and has more of the Maillard-derived toasty, yeasty qualities that come with with that, and which is sounds like you prioritize—perfectly reasonably. This is not to disparage the Taittinger, but to me it’s an apéritif whereas the Larmandier one could drink with food.

This.

Peter Liem harps on this a lot. Have had many more low/no dosage Champagnes that are ordinary, “meh”, or indistinguishable from one another than truly excellent.

I just had Vouette’s Blanc d’Argile on Saturday and it came across as very well balanced, but possibly on the more dosage side to people; it was my blind, so I knew it was extra Brut!

Stelzer seems to be saying that there are too many grower Champagnes, and only the best are worth buying, which is sort of true of everything. I prefer his writing on closures.

William, I don’t think it’s tiresome because many don’t know. Maybe repeating it has become! [cheers.gif]

A grower picking ripe fruit with zero dosage could be the same has a big house picking green peas with 9g/l

there’s a lot of wiggle room in champagne for engineering

I don’t think it’s tiresome, because it’s the fundamental truth. That said, I think a lot of growers’ champagne can trend towards lack of balance and err on the side of austerity because they are philosophically oriented to making those types of wines, and rarely do I feel the opposite is true.

That is very interesting about the vins clair, though - I’d be interested to see an A/B with a vin clair at different levels of sugar fermented out and a dosage added to each to “equal” them out to the same final sugar content to see what effect it has on the finished wine.

Isn’t this also happening in Bordeaux and other wine regions in France and elsewhere?

I don’t find it that surprising. I have been to the Fete de Champagne and can remember a lot of the producers I tasted there because the wines were for the most part excellent. I have been to a couple big walk-around Champagne tastings at local stores over the years and remember virtually none of the wines I tasted there because they were, for the most part, forgettable. [The stores in question have annual Champagne tastings before holiday season. After one visit to each, I stopped going. This was about a decade ago, further contributing to the fact that I don’t remember what I tasted.] Just like with other wine regions, the vast bulk of the wine made in Champagne is pretty mediocre. Of course, these are NOT the wines people on this board buy, pay attention to and discuss. Even if Taittinger La Francaise is the worse Champagne discussed on this board this week (including those mentioned on this thread), it still probably is better than 75% of the grower Champagne made in Champagne.

Frank, in case you were wondering, I very much like Bereche and Vilmart and I have found La Francaise enjoyable but a bit simple.

No one is going to change their mind from this thread. If you find something that is a style you like, buy it.

I have found growers I like (Cedric Bouchard, Laherte, Leclapart…) and growers I don’t (Bereche comes to mind first), it’s all preference and may not be consistent over go the and cuvée.

I also keep some house champagnes around (CdC, La Grande Annee), but tend to use these as aperitifs and celebratory drinks as opposed to following them through an evening as for me they tend not to continually evolve as much. It’s however, nice to have them because you know exactly what you’re getting.

Whereas I like the first three but absolutely love Bereche.

C. Bouchard and Bereche may well be my two favorite “growers.” And I probably enjoy young Bouchard more than any other young Champagne, grower or otherwise. They are so singular.

I’m wine to wine on Bereche. But I have to say one of the most fabulous and interesting wines I’ve had this year was his Coteaux Champenois Blanc. Suzanne, what did you think of that at Wu’s just before the lock down?

Short answer: yes, consolidation is happening everywhere. Here is a graphic representation of how profitable winemaking is in France. I assume that Burgundy is including Beaujolais, Mâconnais, Chablis, etc here, as the Côte d’Or is clearly more profitable than this would suggest.

Rentabilité by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

1 Like

Exactly the point! (I will also note I have definitely not tried all the Bereche cuvees)

I love Bouchard and Laherte Freres, haven’t had Bereche. What is their house style like in comparison to the prior two?

Another huge Bereche fan here. I like Bouchard more than you do.

Apparently my memory was off…given the feedback here I went and found my most recent Bereche note (2014 Reflet d’Antan), which is extremely positive and even notes beautiful balance in general, the only negative being lower acid than I typically enjoy. I guess my comment about not like Bereche is unfair, and will be popping some other cuvees (recommendations welcome)

That’s a champagne that’s pretty idiosyncratic, made similar to a solera system. Most people consider it be oxidized.