Aruba: Suggestions for Restaurants etc.

[media][/media]

Appreciate all the great info in this thread. I am headed to Aruba over New Years, and planning to check a case of wine. Has anyone done this? Any issue getting it through customs? TIA

Yes. Aruba customs checks for incoming liquor and has been charging duty if you exceed the one liter per person rule.I think it’s 2.25 liters of wine per person. I don’t know how much the duty is.

Aruba Customs xrays bags so packing them in luggage does not work.

We go every year for Christmas and New Year’s. The fireworks are spectacular

Thanks Jim, appreciate the info. The fireworks look amazing!

Went last October and planning to goi back.
Stayed at the Ritz — great property, great beach and typically great Ritz service. At the very end of hotel row, so feels very open.
Restaurants:
Quinta del Carmen (mentioned above)
Yemanja Wood Fire grill — a real gem downtown.
At the Ritz — we tried Tehran Italian restaurant — OK, but the BLT Steak there is better.
Have a drink at sunset at Faro Blanco on the far north end. Skip the food. — it is not good.

Cousins daughter got married there in May. My cousin hosted a dinner for about 100 the night before at Madame Janette. Food was very good and service to a group that large exceptional. was duly impressed

Just curious about the 2.25L duty limit. Will be traveling with my wife and two kids. Is it possible to have six total bottles in one luggage and not get charged duty? Since it’ll be two adults traveling? Or do they require three bottles each to be packed separately?

I don’t think they care how it is packed if you both walk through together. Last month I don’t think they were checking when we arrived.

Bumping for any info . Flights and hotel booked for October (assuming we go). Staying in the high rise area-we are adventurous eaters and but not big meat eaters (wife doesn’t eat beef, I eat it very infrequently).

We have not been there since January 2020 but will be there in December this year. Wacky Wahoo and Oak are very good. I am not sure what else has reopened. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I’ll add to Jim’s recommendations Madame Janette and Quinta del Carmen. We have been going for over 20 years but haven’t gone since May 2019. I get fish everywhere I go except El Gaucho.

Look at the old recommendations on this thread. A few places have closed but most are still going.
Driftwood downtown is great for fish(they own a fishing boat) and is one of the few places with lots of locals and lots of tourists.
La Granja is a low-priced place (downtown and a few other locations) with great rotisserie chicken, some fish, and great side dishes. We usually get carryout from there.
Many people love Zeerovers for a fun seafood experience but I prefer Redfish.

Thanks all. We have been there a few times , but not for a few years. And probably not by ourselves for at least 15. And not during Covid (although lots of outdoor dining options). We will probably go to Casa Tua for seafood pizza , and Gasparito (assuming both open and still good.

It will be a go with the flow trip, but I do need to find something special for my wife’s 50th birthday .

This was very good in 2019-20. We ate there twice. The bouillabaise compared to Chez Mathilde because one of the chefs worked there. Worth a detour.

Thanks . Only restaurant I see is definitively not going to is Madam Janette (been there, done that )

Booked Elements (at Bucuti resort in Eagle Beach) for her birthday. Looks right up her alley (bar, menu, sunset location ). And no kids is up mine (at least for 1 night).

1 Like

Elements is very good.

1 Like

Bump for any other Aruba info.
Possible we may do an ATV tour-any info to share ?

Had a great dinner at Bohemian (on the high-rise strip). Food and vibe were awesome.

That’s on my list for December. Glad to hear it’s that good.