At last- Popeyes after a year

I doubt it’s the fat per se. I eat a high fat ketogenic diet 4 months out of every year. But the cheap low quality oil? That is probably at fault.

I started reading the recipe and thought “I can do this” until I saw about 45 minutes, stirring continuously. That’s too much work!

Rick, it’s not continuous really but you can’t leave it for too long as it will burn quick if your heat is too high. Depends on the lowest level of your stove I suppose. Trust me it’s worth it. I’ve had a lot of dirty rice in New Orleans and for my palate nothing is close…and you can make the pretty much just as good at home as in his restaurant!

I used to eat at a place in New Orleans that made the dirty rice using finely chopped chicken livers. The ground beef ones are ok, but the better and more authentic ones use offal.

1 Like

This guy is annoying as hell, but I’ve used his recipe a few times over the past couple years and it makes a damn good Popeyes-ish chicken sandwich. I don’t make my own buns.

For dark roux there is a “cheat” so that you don’t have to cook it as long. Put a thin layer of flour on a sheet pan and toast it in the oven until it is the darkness you want. Then you can make your roux as usual. The toasting prevents you from having the raw flour taste in a shorter period of time.

I like Popeye’s sides OK, but they are so small.

We have a local dinner that has on of those Broaster chicken things. Quite good.

I bit the bullet and broke my fast food rule to try the Carl’s and Wendy’s chicken sammiches and nothing to write home about.

I think my favorite was the Smashburger chicken sammich.

I have yet to try the Burger King version. Those are some creepy ads!

Thanks Nola–After reading this I looked up KKC and found out they were in the Shell station near me. I told my Popeye-loving friend and she bought some for her annual July 4 party. All guests were very pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

I’ve also enjoyed their jambalaya, Cajun fish and shrimp. I typically order a lot of tenders and freeze the majority so if I want a quick addition for a salad I’ve got them on hand. If the had crawdads by the bag it would be perfect!!

At our Shell station, I typically order ahead because there is such a demand.

This weekend I stopped at a gas station food court in the central valley that has a Popeyes (subway, taco bell, etc) and also broke my ff rule. I’ve been once years ago, and I think have only had their red beans and rice. I went for the 3 piece spicy chicken tenders instead of the chicken parts (less messy while driving). They had bins of already cooked food under the lamps and pulled it out as it was ordered. It was chewy instead of crispy, like microwaved frozen chicken so I think getting to that location at the right time was a crapshoot. I’ll have to try a neighborhood joint next time instead of a roadside one that pumps out that kind of volume.

Nola is right. Krispy Krunchy is excellent. But I don’t know if it’s better than Popeyes. They and In n Out are at the top of the fast food pyramid.

Get ready for ordering lines.