At What Price Point Will You Boycott The 2008 Taittinger Comtes?

This looks about right for me.

FWIW, DP wholesale is cheaper than European negotiants where CDC is cheaper in Europe. CDC has been cheaper than DP historically by $20 or more. I say wait. Euro vs $ is 10% higher so this is a factor as well. One issue is that you have to buy equal amount of the 07 to get to the 08.

I have a Woodland Hills 6 pack futures order confirmed but any more will be at $150 or less. As Jerry says, thereā€™s lots out there.

Taittinger seems to be milking the strength of the vintage and critical acclaim for everything that itā€™s worth!

In other words, the Champagne is excellent, and they want to get full boat for it. champagne.gif

Not sure how you can say this when the wine hasnā€™t been releasedā€¦

Seems like you are speaking without any actual information or data. In the US it could very well be their importer or retailers seeing what people will pay before price settles once released.

DP produces millions of bottles, Taitting produces 250k to 300k at most, it really should be more than DP but isnā€™t since they spend zero on campaigns and celebrity endorsements and specialty packaging.

I would say everyone who loved CdC at $125 will still love it, and just like wines like Allemand, etcā€¦people have now discovered a great marque in Champagne that delivers value.

Not sure how the wine not yet being released has to do with a very large price increase if the pre-arrival offers are an indication. Do you doubt the validity of what Kevin is saying about being coerced to buy an equal amount of the 2007 in order to get the 2008?

I wonā€™t be loving it at a 50% price increase. It will be an easy pass. Why are they having trouble moving the 2007?

I regularly rail against the three tier system here. Not only is it a license to print money, but all too often games are played keeping back supply while demand heats up. Cristal 2008 and 2012 was $50 a bottle less in Europe. So I am curious to see the price differential in Europe and retail US. My guess is that we will again be seeing $30-50.

Again, you are just guessing and positing no actual information. I havenā€™t even seen an FOB for 2008 Comtes from Kobrand. We were cruising with 2007 until every restaurant in WA closed due to Covid-19, so perhaps the restaurant/somm community that sells much of the Comtes in the US not being able to buy and this little thing called a pandemic have hurt the 2007ā€¦I say maybe as I have no data nationally, only locally.

Even at $200 Iā€™m a buyer in quantity. Itā€™s that goodā€¦

its not that I canā€™t afford DRC, im just boycotting it!

This is pretty much where I am as well, give or take a few dollars.

The question for them will be if there are enough price-insensitive buyers to pick up the slack from people like myself who splurged on it because it was a great value.

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably buy some more regardless of price; the term boycott is used here like the term defund has been used lately.

Woodland Hills Wine Company
Home Wine shop by Country France Champagne Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut 2008

Find Similar Wines
See more wines by Taittinger
See more wines from Champagne
Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut 2008

Vintage Sparkling Wine from Champagne, France
JS 99 AG 98 WA 98
NEW ITEM PRE-ARRIVAL Item # 335942
$219.95
Increase Quantity:
Decrease Quantity:

Woodland Hills Wine Company
Home Wine shop by Country France Champagne Taittinger Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne 2007
Standard
Find Similar Wines
See more wines by Taittinger
See more wines from Champagne
Taittinger Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne 2007

Vintage Sparkling Wine from Champagne, France
TCG 98 JS 98 WE 97 JG 96 AG 96 WA 95
12.5% ABV PRE-ARRIVAL Item # 334946
$129.95
List $216.00 Save $86.05 (40%)
Increase Quantity:
Decrease Quantity:

750ml
Pre-arrival
12+ Available

For those who canā€™t interpret the previous copy/paste:
'08 Comtes at Woodland Hills for $220, '07 for $130.

Given that WHWC was previously the only retailer who sold the '08 for ~$125, this is interesting. Not sure if they got some new information, or why the new price is so much higher (and higher than other retailers).

That is my line of thinking as well. There are many data points to suggest the price should go up or down- but the fact remains that Taittinger has long been, and all the more so now, the most attractively priced wine in its peer group. Provided one likes the style, there is no reason to think of it in terms of QPR any differently than Dom, Krug or Cristal IMHO.

I am anticipating it will hit the Texas market for around $200 base price- meaning $170ish with case discount. I am good for a couple of cases at that price- and a six pack of the Rose if its price point remains in historical proportion with the Blanc de Blanc.

Got offered the 08 Comtes from Total Wine at $200 p/bottle. Yikes