Auction Finds

1957 Lynch-Bages can be quite a good wine, the vintage is not bad, nor great either … and I had one bottle that was excellent, another one only so-so … (always depending …)
but I wouldn´t pay 240,- for it - I paid (I think) 45,- all. incl. some (12?) years ago …

From a general auction view, my friends share each others paddle numbers so we dont bid against one another. But that is a pretty small group relative to the entire WB community. I dont believe sharing lot info on a public board would be in anyone’s best interest other than the seller.

In regards to Wine Bid, they were the first auction house I regularly bought from but over the years things made it less attractive for me. Some reasons their doing others they have little control over.

Isn’t transparency a good thing, in everything?? Without it - in government, business, our personal lives - there is exploitation.

If you want to make this work, form a group of people you trust and share auction and/or retail finds.

There’s a bunch of 40th Anniversary Caymus in 1 liter format on Spectrum. Highly recommend bidding on them

56 is even worse

Commiserations…

I seem to remember something about the “coldest weather in Bordeaux in about a quarter millennium”.

Parker’s bdx book summarized the year as (paraphrasing) small quantities of vile, undrinkable wine.

”The wines were terrible, and the pours were too small.”

Exactly. There’s an old joke, surely in the Ron Memorial Thread, about the elderly couple at the early bird; the food is awful and the portions too small.

Gerry, as someone who’s just beginning to buy through auction and mostly through WineBid, id be interested to know what your reasons were?

I think I have had better luck with flawed bottles from Winebid than I have had with bottles purchased direct. I don’t think I ever have had a flawed bottle after years of buying.

Same. My success rate on Winebid is incredibly high…and I purchase from them regularly, and have done so for a handful of years.

As to the OP, while I’m absolutely a ‘sharing is caring’ kinda guy when it comes to nice finds at retail, I just dont see the point of doing the same here when it comes to auctions. With the former, you’re normally talking multiple bottles/larger qualities. With the latter, usually unique lots or single/rare bottles that are often hard to find elsewhere. At the end of the day, we take the time/effort to bid at auction to score a good deal on those harder to find wines. Highlighting those lots to the thousands of wine-crazed peeps who frequent this board completely defeats the purpose and only benefits the seller. Maybe an ‘Auction Wins’ thread would be more appropriate??

As a 1960 myself you are one of the few people I’m inclined to feel sorry for with regards to birth year wines. I have some vintage averaging lined up for next year (1966, 1962, 1958 and 1954 average out to 4 good bottles of 1960).

Regarding the original post I’m in the camp with most responders. I would only share things I’m interested in there are a lot of them. And even then I usually wait until the next week.

You could create a custom “1960 blend”!

I first heard this in the film “Annie Hall”. Woody Allen as Alvy Singer says:

There’s an old joke: two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort and one of 'em says, “Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.” The other one says, “Yeah, I know, and such small portions.” Well, that’s essentially how I feel about life. Full of loneliness and misery and suffering and unhappiness, and it’s all over much too quickly.

I’m a 56 and my brother is a 60. Had a good 1960 Krohn Colheita. Beat anything I’ve ever had from 56.