B21 Wine in FL - Major Disappointment, Ending my 25+ Year Relationship with Them

Just blocked their offers!

1 Like

Damn, Kevin, that is your backyard!

Well this thread has certainly helped me. I always feel badly being critical, but sounds like some others have come to a similar conclusion. Thanks all for the input. Makes me feel more comfortable that I wasnā€™t just being a PIA first-worlder.

1 Like

Yea, I used to love visiting the store and bringing home a few cases. Loved back when they would highlight their staff, their knowledge, etc which was always confirmed when you had questions. Now, all that personal touch has been removed. Its hard to completely blacklist them since 1) they are so close and 2) have the best selection in the area at typically good pricing, but they certainly arenā€™t a must go to anymore.

1 Like

I did have to pay the Florida protect-the-children pricing premium.

Who knew that wholesalers and retailers were such vulnerable children themselves, at risk of under-age alcoholism with premium wines?

1 Like

Sorry you had issues like this. I have had more customer service issues this year than ever before, mostly big retailers that I didnā€™t have a long-standing relationship with. Maybe they are too busy to need more business. Retailers that Iā€™ve bought from regularly and that have more personalized service have been great, and Iā€™m consolidating more and more purchases with them.

Almost all of my wine purchases during the past two years have been via WineBid, with which I have no commercial affiliation.

Prices, shipping, bottle conditions, and customer service have been fine. Retailers could learn from it.

2 Likes

Not surprised to hear this. As a resident of Tampa with many wine-drinking friends, the stories of their poor customer service are a pretty common thread (including one friend who was charged 3 times for the same in-store order!). We live about 20 min from the shop and I decided to go in one day as we were up in Tarpon goofing around. I spent about 30 minutes wandering around and not once was I asked if I needed help. That and the way certain high end bottles were being displayed told me everything I needed to know about the place.

Robert, there are a lot of other very good wine retailers in the Tampa area who have great pricing and may make deliveries to Orlando (not sure). Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware of them, but Craft & Curd and Redneck both come to mind, though Iā€™m not sure how deep their selection of Loire reds is!

What happened to Robert is really unacceptable. But I feel like some of the retailers I buy from, including brand new contacts and both big and small stores, have gone out of their way during COVID to provide good service, including offering me wines I never asked for. This has only occurred because of personal contact, whether email or phone or even in-person (socially distanced of course).

So I think it has gone both ways, with the retailers who do provide strong personal service able to really shine (as you suggest).

Sorry to read about this - what a lot of hassle. It seems strange that at a time when so many retailers are struggling to survive, one of them would treat a faithful client like this.

Agreed. Iā€™ve had great service from both Chambers St. (long time customer) and Flatiron (havenā€™t bought much from them in the past though thatā€™s been changing this year). Also Winebid who has improved their service (notably in the new shipping options) from an already high level.

I remember looking at B21 20 years ago and wishing they could ship out of state. The experiences described are exactly the sort of thing that would put me off ever ordering from them.

Itā€™s not youā€¦its me, but I think itā€™s best that I start seeing other wine stores. Of course, I still want to be friends with you.

Seriously. I have zero patience for bullshit. It would have been so easy to handle this properly on their end. Sorry it happened.

Thanks for this post. Iā€™ll avoid them in the future.

Iā€™ve placed a handful of orders with them over the years. Never a problem with the orders, or with shipping to NY state. My last order was a futures order in April 2018. The order was ready to ship in November 2018, but at that time they told me they were no longer able to ship to NY. They were very helpful, though. They suggested that I arrange the shipment myself via Fedex and send them the shipping label PDF. They gave me all the necessary info (box dimension, weight, etc.). They packaged the shipment (at no cost to me) and applied the label. Package was picked up and delivered without an issue. (BTW, Iā€™ve suggested that method to other retailers who are unable/unwilling to ship to NY, and theyā€™ve said it canā€™t be done.)

So nothing but good experiences with B21ā€™s customer service in the past, and Iā€™m sorry to hear the situation has changed.

1 Like

I have a long-standing relationship with Chambers, Crush and Weygandt for my geeky stuff. All three of them have first-rate customer service, in addition to a fantastic selection of unique wines. Chambers is like a good friend, truly wonderful people. There is such a range of great retailers, especially in California, like Golden8, Martin Steinley, K&L, Benchmark, etc., I just tend to purchase as much as I can on the east coast given how tricky it is to ship from Cali to FL, plus a very short shipping window.

Iā€™ve been very happy with WineBid as well. I have not had much luck recently, however, as I think Covid seems to have run pricing and competition up. I used to win something almost every week, itā€™s been some time (couple months?) since my last purchase. Solid service, though, and a very fun platform. I have a couple bids in already, so fingers crossed.

Sadly, Florida is really limited on high quality retailers that carry the things that this Board seems to rave about. Iā€™ll check out those two Tampa retailers highlighted above.

Thanks all.

Robert

They just sent me a great offer for '18 Pegau @40. I guess I will pass. Really.

I know you said you made your peace with it, but if the owner heard from you, I think you may get more out of this than you expected, especially if heā€™s a good guy.

The only way a business can get better is when they know the issues going on. Canā€™t fix things if you donā€™t get feedback.

Robert, another way to deal with this is to use multiple #wine related hashtags on twitter and instagram. Donā€™t forget to include surrounding area towns and counties. #DontGetMadGetEven

@b21wine (twitter). Also #b21# There are some responses posted there

B21wine on Instagram

1 Like

Ha, Iā€™m not even on those platforms, nor Facebook. Unlike the rest of you heathens, WB.com is my only love.

#boomer

1 Like

I could not resist. I ordered. Sorry R-Alf.

Traitor! I will never be your lead out man for the final sprint.

Damn, $40!?! I was ecstatic when they listed the 2017 for $50 per bottle, bought it in bottles and magnums. Incidentally, what is the word on the 2018 vintage in southern RhƓne.

The funny irony is, perhaps they wrote me off. I did not get that offer, and I usually get a daily email. LOL.

ā€œWatch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.ā€