Back in the biz

You have it in a nutshell.

My wife worked at Otsuka 5 years ago who owns Ridge. It was 30% at that time.

I never knew that Ridge was owned by Otsuka.

Otsuka purchased Ridge in 1986. They’re very hands-off or seem to be. Jin is correct about the Otsuka employee discount as a friend has that.

Can I get a discount on a free glass at the component tasting?

I suggest you make a reservation under an alias 'cause I’ll 86 you before you even make the turn up Montebello Road.

That’s cool Larry. Am hoping to get up there for another tasting soon. Such a cool gig to get, for sure!

Crap. Now I have to be nice to you.

Sneak a taste of the 2008 Monte Bello and tell me how it is. Cheers and congrats!

First things first. I hope I can taste 2017 Monte Bello since it wasn’t possible due to no MB Collector events in the Spring. There would’ve been barrel samples of 2019, too. We’ll see how things go.

One of the first things I learned while working in the tasting room is there is no need for a foil cutter. You just grab the foil, twist and pull. The whole thing comes off in one piece.

Does the same apply in a restaurant?

Do restaurants do high volume sampling?

If I witnessed that wine service I would assume I was in Costco or Applebee’s. Use the foil cutter on a wine opener, remove the top of the capsule, and open the damn bottle. It takes less than ten seconds and looks like you know what you’re doing.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. The bottles are opened out of sight of the customer, then put into the service bar for dispensing. What an asshat comment.

Congrats Larry! They deserve a legend. See you soon!

Congrats, Larry! I have to say, though. All those gigs when I was out there and you didn’t bring one old Ridge!

Don’t worry about that. You probably will get to taste things while at “work” that will in effect double or triple your effective salary.

In any case, enjoy and congratulations. I am sure you have earned this. [cheers.gif]

I learned this at home after the first couple of bottles! champagne.gif

I didn’t have those wines then! It’s only in the past few months that I’ve been accumulating a fair amount.

And thanks! Hopefully, we’ll able to break bread in the not-too-distant future.