Banyuls: what do you all think

In a world where current release VP is $50-100, current release vintage dated Banyuls is much less (assuming some purchase channel).

I think that has to be part of the consideration. I don’t think I’ve ever paid north of $30 for any Banyuls, including Mas Blanc’s various bottlings.

When we would have Rhone themed dinners, I used to enjoy closing out with a Banyuls, even if it was not truly AOC appropros.

(btw on some other Banyuls thread, someone suggested I try a dry Dr Parce…I did buy one at some point a year or so ago…but have not gotten around to trying it!)

1 Like

I like Banyuls, especially some of the old ones I’ve had. Chapoutier always has a strong cocoa powder note that I suspect comes from oak. It’s a nice wine, but not like the others I’ve had. I tend to prefer the wines of Maury for their rusticity. Mas Amiel makes some great stuff.

PXL_20211221_040444543.jpg
I’ve been sipping a 500ml btl of the 2013 Chapoutier [Banyuls] the last several nights. It’s a nice winter evening reward, after the days duties are finished. I’ve never really understood how this entered the Chapoutier empire; perhaps purchased grapes? maybe from Bila Haut? This fortified wine is unsedimented still at age 8 with only 16% abv. I find it quite tannic on the first couple of nights but that mellows out by the final glass. Dark ruby color, no lightening at the edges. Cocoa and caramel notes on the nose and palate. I’d give this an A- in my personal ledger.

I realize Banyuls are not commonly seen in the US, but the odds are pretty good that any bottle that makes it here has been through many quality hurdles/filters that they are likely all pretty good. They keep a long time.

It took about a week to finish a 2012 Les Clos de Paulilles ‘Traditionnel’ [Banyuls] with a small glass each night. At age ten, it is light on the structure, depth although the color seems solid. 17% abv. This seems to be the current release, at least according the estates website (in French). Mostly Grenache noir. Quality wise, I would compare it to a big British shippers LBV, even if they are not made in the same way. A little underwhelming for me, and I’d slot it into the B grade, but perhaps more time will help. I would still expect that this can keep well, and I have a couple more.

1 Like

I like Banyuls, it can be of equally quality to a Port but - like Maury - it´s fantastic with sweet chocolate desserts - and it can age magnificently. Sure it has 19-20 degree alc but the fine examples are harmonious and balanced. Dr. Parce is fine, but there are other great producers.

I like Banyuls as well, but closer to wood aged Ports rather than Vintage. That said, I think it closest to Carcavelos.

Dom de la Rectorie is good (nice people too). Their Collioure Rose is also good.
Traginer is also quite good.

Even the touristy Cellier des Templiers is ok, and their Marc is very tasty.

1 Like