Barolo recs

Paul - Todd’s list is excellent.

i got yelled at for suggesting some of these! lol. very good list indeed.

Yeah… all the nebbiolo I like is on there. I’m kind of curious what was purposefully omitted…

A handful of my faves aren’t there, but I’ll never tell what they are!

It’s interesting how the ‘top 20’ type Barolo producers have become so consistently rated and adored. Clearly it’s time to find the up and comers who are inexpensive and tomorrow’s heroes. Colla is probably one of those. G. Rosso? Trediberri? Diego Conterno? A youth movement?

Todd: excellent!!

Again to everyone: thank you!!

Haven’t had a chance to try some of the wines posted by Todd, but have been meaning to for awhile. That said Ive had a handful of them and Im in total agreement. Consistently great wines, and a pretty good PQR for Barolo. Great list.

What are your thoughts on adding Guido Porro to that lineup?

Enjoying some Antoniolo Gattinara San Francesco 2009 tonight. [cheers.gif]

Hi Paul,
A wealth of good advice and recommended wines and producers here to get you started. To summarize how I would approach my intro into Barolo and the Langhe, I would investigate categories which would give you an intro into typicality of Nebbiolo’s aromas and flavors that are neither masked by excessive tannin which you will encounter in the younger single vineyard Barolos nor adorned with new oak, which tends to blanket and dull the beautiful aromas of young Nebbiolo and “fill in” the crevices created in aged Nebbiolo which create those haunting aromas that you have read about on this board and led you to this posting.

So I would look for Nebbiolo In these categories: Nebbiolo DOCG, Barbaresco and Barolo Normal.

Nebbiolo DOCG from 2016 in particular from the producers that I have drank provides an ethereal and etched fruit driven profile; Barbaresco, which is typically medium bodied and approachable sooner than Barolo yet still will still allow you to experience the complexity, power and nuance which Barolo offers and Barolo Normal which will give you those same experiences at a younger age and with less stress on the wallet.

Happy hunting!

I took 3 of the Poderi Colla Nebbiolo d’Alba from Flatiron.

Also ordered 2 2016 Produttori Del Barbaresco DOCG and 2 2016 Burlotto Langhe Nebbiolo

Well yum. Enjoy! And let us know what you think.

I will! Thanks again. It has been a while since a felt like a newbie, and I am kinda enjoying it!

Last night had an outstanding 2013 Marengo Barolo. Everything you want in a Barolo and quite reasonably priced.