Beat Bollinger Special Cuvee in Roughly the Same Style and Price

For the record, one of the best 10 wines of my life was a mag of NV Bollinger from the sixties that was consumed in 1985…I can still taste it. Most of the Bollingers I have consumed since have been in pale comparison to that experience, and I mean literally. 2002 RD, 1996 RD, various vintage Grande Annee versions, and certainly the NV all seem to have a hollow spot in the palate. I can pick out the pristine oxydative notes on top of quality bubbles, but there always seems to be something missing as it crosses the palate…lack of concentration or richness towards the finish.

Given the first statement above, I have always looked for mags of NV to age and not only do I find them rare, I find them consistently expensive, to the point that I would gladly purchase other wines that I know would age well or give predictable satisfaction. I suspect the incredible mag I had was with base wine from '62 or '64, so had the great basic materials, but I also think the winemaking and style at that time at Bollinger was more conducive to creating an exceptional product (at all levels/price points) that was consumed at that graduation dinner. To make a point, the wines were Bolly NV mag, '66 Cheval Blanc, '70 Margaux and '28 Coutet for three people, and we finished the mag.

Maybe with the latest string of “OK” or better vintages of 2012, 2013 and 2015 for a base wine it’s time to experiment again with NV mags.

1 Like

Thanks. There are a few here I haven’t had and am interested to try. Pierre Peters and Hebrart BdB are both wines I love, very much digorgement dependent with Peters (even more so than with Bollinger). They are also in that top tier of value, in my mind, but not better than Bollinger NV. I’m going to make a note with a few of these others and see what I think.

Can you translate those abbreviations for me?

WDC = wine dot com, RMN = Retail Me Not. The first post on the online deals thread has the current active offers: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

1 Like

Report back, I’ll be curious. So much of this is taste dependent, of course, but a few on that list above are, I believe, as close to objectively better as you can get in a subjective medium. The Diebolt Prestige is simply a stunning NV - 100% grand cru chardonnay from Cramant (used to be all Cramant, now has some Chouilly and Le Mesnil-sur-Oger fruit) and is a blend of 3 vintages. It sees steel fermentation, goes through malo, and the reserve wines are aged in old large 4000 L oak foudres. It spends a minimum of 3 years on lees. It’s an incredible value.

1 Like

Hi Sarah,
Egly-Ouriet Brut Tradition.
It has occured to me you’re an enthusiast of their rose so that’s an easy one - better, however somewhat more expensive and difficult to procure.

This is my perspective too…the combination of the rich/creamy oxidative character with the sweetness is too much. If only the sweetness were significantly lower, I don’t think I’d find the richness too much. But together it is too much. I enjoy the first glass, but no more.

How long has it been since you’ve had it? If it’s been awhile, you might be surprised.

1 Like

Envoyer March 2020. I stocked up.

1 Like

Better I’d agree. In the same style, less so, but obviously not in the crisp citrusy camp, either. I don’t buy the Brut Tradition, as I’d rather pay up for the V.P. We have a lot of that in the cellar. Sadly, I’ve been unable to source magnums of any of the Egly line-up.

1 Like

Woodland Hills and Wine Library both have it for $47.

2 Likes

For me, by far and away the best buy at the moment if you can find it is the lanson extra age. Not sure it’s entirely the same style as bolly sc since it’s no mlf and is a little fresher (in a very good way imho) but it is 60% pn. You can find it in the uk for c. £40 all in which is absolutely nuts for the quality. I’ve been backing up the truck whenever I can and every bottle (6 in the last month or so) has been fantastic so far.

Didn’t think it was available in mags but there is a listing on wine searcher at rwc in ca. I would take every one they had if I lived in the USA!

I didn’t see Roederer brut premier NV mentioned here. Its around 40% PN, 40 chard, 20 PM. Aged for 3 years prior to disgorgement.

Its not exactly the same style (this tends toward mineral and crisp fruit rather than the toastier, rounder style of the Bolly (forgive my generalizing here). But, it does have some of the same richness and length. Widely available in magnum, at or below your price (I’ve purchased halves <$20 recently) and a nice one to tuck away in the cellar for current or future use.

There are plenty of nice wines mentioned on this thread, but to me, this is the only thing cited so far that is actually reminiscent of the Bollinger style - and, not surprisingly, because Gass worked at Bollinger and makes the wines the old-fashioned way: old Bollinger barrels, some dating back to the 1920s; three rackings; isinglass fining; cane sugar and old wine for liqueur at disgorgement, which is by hand.

5 Likes

I have read about, but never tasted any Filaine wines. I have access to the DMY, though, and will try and include some in my next order.

Jim: [rofl.gif]
William & Brad: [drinks.gif]

1 Like

Please champagne.gif

You should! Visiting there last month was a revelation. I went to Bollinger right after, to do a vertical back to 1947, which was very interesting, too.

I had the opportunity to try a 2007 Filaine Sensuum Vertigo at Etxebarri yesterday. It was stunningly good. Thank you, I never would have chosen it with this exchange.

1 Like

Delighted to hear that! champagne.gif

1 Like