Bedrock Fall Release - November 13th

if the goal is to mimic the LaLas then I think the comment about more new-oak is probably spot on. that could seem like a heavy-handed treatment if its not typically what you do. it could also be incorporated so well that its harder to notice and seems like a strange description.

My budget is pretty limited, but I ordered 1 of the limerick to see how it is.

Tempted, but the previous vintages didn’t wow me.

I wished for a couple

This was maybe not my best wording regarding the Exposition wines- chalk it up to an insanely long harvest where we still have things in the middle of fermentation with Thanksgiving around the corner. For me, the Exposition wines were made in a style that heavily emphasizes winemaking decisions that have a big influence on the finished wine style. I do think the more a wine is “made”- in this case with 100% new oak for three years in barrel- the more it shows winemaking decisions over site expression. And this was the point of the exercise. I think the LaLa wines themselves are more Guigal then they are Cote Rotie- if I want a wine that really screams Cote Rotie I am looking at Jamet, Rostaing, and sometimes Ogier. The same can be said for their St. Joseph, I think Gonon and Faury and others better capture the appellation. This is not to say the Guigal wines are not remarkable wines, they are just different. Also, some would probably vociferously disagree with my take on that- and that is great, the beauty of wine is that we all get to have our own opinion.

Thanks Morgan for the insight - always super valuable. :slight_smile:

Has anyone opened a 2014 Weill-a-way? I got 3 last year but am letting them sleep. I will admit the Weill mixed blacks are not my favorite (although guests have loved it), and the one Exposition I’ve opened so far was brilliant but super young. Was going to try to cut back on this order but my resistance is fading…

Did a small order - six bottles. Finally trying their Rieslings and the Gewurz, along with the Oakville Farmhouse.

David - post your notes on the rieslings when you end up tasting it. I’d be interested in your thoughts!

I will. I have had Bedrock Riesling in the past, but it has been a while.

I was just putting the case and a half from the previous release into the cellar (shipping was held up due to weather) when the Fall Release email hit my inbox. Still can’t resist ordering at least some whites (Gewurzt, the dry Reisling and wish list the Compagni Portis), oh and a couple bottles of the syrah for good measure.

I opened a 14 mixed blacks a couple months ago and it drank well over 2 days. Not as deep and satisfying as 2012, but still really solid. I generally like these as one of the earlier Bedrock drinkers, and the 14 seems to fit with that theory pretty well. No rush but in a fine spot currently.

The higher ratings and price escalation of the Exposition wines has to be a hugely frustrating phenomenon for a terroir oriented winemaker. But I guess it was predictable, too.

Wish list granted, I have some Riesling!

Got a couple more pato and one LL on wish, ended up with 14 bottles total.

There’s a new video on YouTube from Bedrock Wine Company highlighting the “Compagni Portis Vineyard”…

That wine is in short supply, apparently. I tarried a bit getting my order in, was forced to wishlist it, and was only granted one of the two bottles I requested.

Ended up with a nice little ‘sampler’ pack to try out a few of their wines:

1 2017 The Bedrock Heritage Red Sonoma Valley
3 2017 Coast to Foothills Syrah California
1 2017 Pagani Ranch Heritage Wine Sonoma Valley
1 2017 Papera Ranch Heritage Wine Russian River Valley

At least got enough to have my foot in the door and order next time if I enjoy them.

I bet if you were a better customer and just generally more likeable you would have gotten both bottles Andrew :wink:

in for 6 Coast to Foothills and 1 Pagani. First Bedrock order, hello email list!

I think it was wish list for everyone or almost everyone.