Bedrock Heritage blends: general advice around drinking window?

Based on the great advice here from Morgan and others, I cracked the 2016 Evangehlo over the weekend. I’m sure glad I bought these and, if this wine is any indication, I’ll be out for more.

• 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (5/4/2020)
    This was given a 2-hour decant. Great nose with spicy red fruit, a little note of chicory(?), and something very pleasingly floral too. Very complex nose already. The palate is perfectly balanced with great lifting acidity. Copious fruits including dark cherry and raspberry, with other notes of interest that I can’t identify. This really makes you want to keep coming back. Delicious and could likely improve with some more time. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

A very nice wine, and hats off to everyone at Bedrock.

Nice Brandon, glad you dug it buddy! Your note is awesome and really encapsulates most Bedrock experiences, and the nose in particular. That ‘Bedrock Perfume’ is one of my favorite aspects of their wine. Just sooo good!

Edited as it took me two times to spell your name right :wink:

That perfume…it’s like Sex Panther…

Ha ha ha! Exactly. This guy gets it :wink:

Since this thread is active, curious who is joining in on the zoom event tomorrow with MTP and Joel Peterson and what you’ll be pouring.

Just got a 2010 Bedrock Heirloom and 2012 Pagani delivered yesterday, but may be too soon to open and will let those sit for sediment to settle. I’ll pull a 2014 Evangelho instead.

I was thinking of popping an Under the Wire Bedrock sparkling zin.

Yep, definitley in! I think I’m going to coravin a glass of 2014 Bedrock/Bedrock and 2014 Once & Future Bedrock. Was going to pull an older Bedrock but this seems too perfect of an opportunity to try them side-by-side.

And Brian, either one of those wines should be fire right now!! But totally get wanting to let them rest a bit.

I wish I could join…tough with two kids in the house at 5:00 on a Thursday. Looking forward to some TNs!

You have additional details here?

There’s a separate thread in Wine Talk about this.

2018 Evangelho Heritage tonight. Didn’t really decant much, what can I say? Chalky, grippy, inky, almost some bitter chocolate notes. Amazingly good.

My (apparently minority) opinion is that this is the best overall Bedrock wine, year after year.

I will put in a vote for Bedrock, Bedrock Heritage as best year over year.

And I would enthusiastically 2nd that nomination :slight_smile:

Agreed. Of the many Bedrock heritage wines I’ve had I find it the most balanced in the line-up each year, which shows with its aging capacity.

I would agree - it’s consistently great. But this was also amazing.

One thing Bedrock nerds out on is the description of the soils and geography on the back of the labels, but here not a mention of what varieties goes into the field blend. It’s mainly Zin, right?

Evangelho gets my vote for their best wine, but I get the enthusiasm for Bedrock Vineyard too. They are both great wines.

Here’s a snippet from the 2019 Evangelho release

‘As always, the 2019 is a blend of the three dominant field-blended varieties at the vineyard—Zinfandel, Mataro and Carignan—though it also contains bits and bobs of Alicante Bouschet, Grand Noir, Mission, Palomino and even a single, ancient Clairette Blanche vine (definitely had to go to the DNA to ID that one!)’