Berlin recommendations?

Martin - where was that great place that served the white spargel and Keller Scheurebe? I need to make a resy on my next trip.

1 Like

hahaā€¦ā€¦.you are soo sweet, Robert.

Reservation confirmed! champagne.gif

1 Like

Thank you for these recommendations, planning to go to Berlin this August. Would it be possible to also get recommendations for a few good wine shops to visit in Belin as well?

First, I have the feeling that my list is already outdated. Berlin has such a dynamic restaurant-scene, every month new hot-spots.

Here the list of very good wine-shops. Of course there are much more, but for a tourist it is the best. Both are not far away from each other, around 10min

Wein&Glas

https://www.weinundglas.com

KaDeWe

1 Like

NEW promising restaurant ā€œthe NoNameā€. It looks like it is made for Robert Dentice. haha

Martin - I have heard good things about this spot:

Yes, good choice.

Iā€™m just about within 2 months of when I want to dine in September. Time to make my final decision.

Best cook in Berlin according the 100 list published a few days ago, Michael JĆ¼rgen from ā€žNobelhart&Schmutzigā€œ.

1 Like

I second Rutz - very good food and an equally good wine list. I went a few years ago and I recall them having an a la carte menu which I donā€™t see anymore.

If youā€™re looking for late drunk food, head to Mustafas GemĆ¼se Kebap. Be prepared to stand in line at all times of the day.

Going to Berlin for the first time in 2 weeks. What is the tipping etiquette in Berlin? I assume all prices in restaurants already include taxes/VAT?

TIA.

All restaurants include taxes and service, no matter size of party. It is customary to round up the bill. There is no hard fast rule as to how much, but you usually add a complete of Euros. For exceptional service, you might give up to 10% but no more and plenty of Germans will already tell you that is too much. Something like 5% is more usual as a sign of respect for the service.

1 Like

I should add that you donā€™t leave the tip at the table. That is considered rude. You give it directly to the waiter, either in cash or card, by telling them the total amount you want the bill to be after tip.

Good to know, as leaving it at the table is how we usually do it in the US (for cash). For card there is always a tip line in the receipt or tip option in the electronic card reader.

Exactly. That is why I mentioned it. Have a great trip!

2 Likes

Donā€™t many places nowadays bring the credit card machine to your table and you tell the waiter the final total you wish to pay and tap the card right there tableside?

I appreciate you sharing these tips (no pun intended). But I also have to believe that local servers have seen enough Americans to know their pay habits?

Is this tipping etiquette also the same for high-end restaurants? The tip is already built in for the most part?

I canā€™t remember the last time I filled in one of those receipts with a tip amount in Europe. Itā€™s been years.

In France itā€™s not even an option on the machine.

Any good wine bars to visit in Berlin? TIA.

Well, sure, they will be used to Americans and leaving money on the table. And so in that case, they may not find it rude, per se, but rather an American quirk. You can simply include the tip in the bill, though, and youā€™ll fit in just a bit better. If it does not matter to you, no worries, waiters will gladly take money left on the table.

Service is always included in German restaurants (and servers paid accordingly), whether it is low-end or high-end. Any German waiter telling you otherwise is who know Americans leave 15-20% or more in the US and is hoping youā€™ll do that there, too, though tipping 20% in Germany would probably be like tipping 50% in the U.S. You would only do that if the waiter did something absolutely out of the ordinary.

1 Like