Best $150-200 Champagne?

I thought about Selosse as well because I love it but it’s harder to find and I want less people to buy it. :wink:.

That echoes my thoughts on Prevost, but I think the Selosse train has long left the building

If he can get the Heidsieck in that price range, that’s a great call. Great wine. Another possibility is straight Louis Roederer Brut from 1995, a fabulous mature Champagne.

If you are in celebration mode and just want something to enjoy I think picks like Krug or Dom P are the way to go. A lot of the recs in this thread lean geekier and say more about being a geek than just celebrating with someone who may or may not be a wine geek themselves. These are recognizable names that can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone. I wouldn’t pop something like Selosse for people who do not have adventuresome palates.

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions! Lots of good ideas, but only a subset is available from local retailers on short notice. I’m going to play it safe and go with the Krug 168ème since my friends are not wine geeks, and thanks to KenL’s K&L stock notification, I’m going to pick up a bottle of the 07 Comtes for myself.

I like the Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2008 . I got a couple of cases at $110 per a while back.
Also enjoy 2002 Pommery Brut Champagne Cuvee Louise very much. champagne.gif

I would definitely vote for the Egly BdN. The Krug 188eme is fabulous, but maybe a little young right now.

Kyle- J is spot on. One thing to learn/know about champagne is (1) the very different styles and grapes, (2) value of age, (3) the impact of acid and and of course like any wine (4) name recognition (or not).

High level generalities for illustrative purposes only and by no means are 100% correct nor is it an exhaustive list simply wanted to echo and add to AJ’s comments.

-Number 4 only really has Dom and Cristal unless they have a bit deeper knowledge and they might know a few more names.
-Number 3 play a massive role for example on the recent release vintage of 2008 where it may be a bit better integrated on a 2007 or 2009.
-Number 2 on great champagne like great wine really helps develop and enhance the profile (although some might prefer, just like in still wine, a more linear mineral and acid delivery)
-Number 1 styles run the gamut and Krug GC as you have chosen is an outlier for a number of reasons (a) (mix of ~50% current vintage (2012 for 168) and ~50% of ten years of back vintages), (b) Krug flavor profile is extremely different than say Cristal or Dom (using those as named examples), (c) size and frequency of effervescent, (d) grape mix (chard, Pinot, PM), (e) texture, (f) with or without food, etc etc.

Krug is an absolute favorite of mine and the 168 is a great choice. Having just had it last weekend, I would suggest you open it in advance as it drinks right out of the gate and/or deposing on time between open and taste have a wider surface area glass to allow more air quickly. Oh and never use the old style champagne glass if you have other options. Good luck and most importantly enjoy the special evening!