Best 375mL Champagnes? Need good suggestions

Almost guilt free: Gosset Rose NV, what a great champagne.
They just ran out at collectible fine wine (they had them @ 29 for a 375, but they still have the 750 for 59).
I think you can find it in few places for 25-35 per 375

I make one recommendation for a special 375, and that is the 2008 Deutz Amour Blanc de Blancs. Sometimes it shows up at 60 for 375, once saw it for 55 (did not grab on time) .This is a good special friday night

I find it difficult to find anything of quality (apart from Krug) in 375 format. It may be my own silly notion, but I don’t think Champagne ages or drinks particularly well in small bottles. I have two or three of those nice german sparkling wine closures that seal over the lip of the bottle and will retain CO2 for a couple days and find they work reasonably well. You usually are charged a premium price for odd sized bottles–something I find annoying to the point of avoidance.

https://www.bassins.com/wine_list.php

That’s what I do. The wine sealers work very well, and I don’t want to pay $20-$25 for 1/2 bottle when I can buy a full bottle for $30-$35.

Champagne in half bottles is identical to Champagne in 750 mL (full) bottles - at least in terms of the juice - almost all of the time. In general, it is the same wine that goes into 750 mL bottles only with less time aging on the lees. Although, sometimes, it sees more time aging on the lees if demand is low and it can occasionally be a different wine (although this is rare). As with everything in Champagne, it depends.

In general, I am not a big fan of half bottles. They are subject to supply and demand pressures far more than regular 750 mL bottles and this can lead to supply chain quality issues. It is better IMO to open a full bottle and follow it for 2-3 days. The changes the wine makes can not only be amazing and educational, but sometimes beneficial too.

I’m in the same boat with wife and kids. My two favorites are:

1. Blanc de Blancs – Launois “Cuvée Reserve”
  2. Rose - Franck Bonville Brut Rosé.

Delamotte Brut and BdB

Drank a half bottle of the Ployez rosé last night with the fam to open a b-day/mother’s day meal, hot damn it is good…

Guilt free 375: Veuve Fourny et Fils Brut Premier Grande Reserve.

+1

Apologies in advance for making a suggestion outside of your original question, but I have found over the years that once opened- a bottle of champagne put back in the fridge, even without a closure, is just fine the next day. And so whenever I open a nice bottle alone or with just 1 other person, I save the rest in the fridge, opened, until the next evening.

I only suggest this because of the cost premium that tends to accompany 375s, plus the fact that I have found over the years 375s are less reliable qualitatively. I do not know why that is- many good suggestions above on possible reasons- but I have had enough mediocre experiences that I tend to avoid halves of champagne.

Tom,

I second your note and I think most winemakers/vinegrowers in Champagne would agree as well. 375s can be fun, but they are normally not a great economical choice and can be fraught with problems too due to the supply chain economics/variable demand.

The only time I buy 375s is when I know they are very fresh in terms of when they were disgorged and how long they have been in the US for.

Now that everyone has had a chance to make real suggestions I’ll one which might or might not be useful for you now that summer months are approaching. I recently noticed that Saratoga Wines sells cases of Bera Moscato d’Astis, one of my favorites, by the half bottle. Which is really the perfect amount for us.

i bought some half bottles of agrapart terroirs for $16 per a while back at half wit wines. seems like they are still in stock but not on sale at the moment. maybe check back in a bit?

Wish I had access to more 375s locally. Great way for me to try out champagnes before buying bigger bottles

Just bought a 375ml if Billecart brut reserve. Love the rose so hoping I’ll like this too

ZachysDC has a sale now with free shipping. I saw at least one 375 listed.