Best Amarone QPR

I’ve been paying attention to Masi Costasera for 20 years and have occasionly bought in 5 star vintages. I’ve never seen the Riserva at any of my local retailers which would probably explain why I never purchasd it. In fact, I didn’t even know it existed.

Back in the days when I collected them, I would also put my vote on Zenato and Accordini for pure QPR. They were a little more off the beaten path and offered great value (but it’s been 15 years since then, so lost touch with the Amarone world).

Didn’t Tommasi release their high end brand De Buris recently? Has anyone tried that?

i’ve never seen the riserva. But I really enjoyed the 2015 Costasera recently. Have you had the 2015?

Nope. Since Amarone is not my cup of tea and I’ve had enough disappointments with Costasera, I’m not seeking it actively out. I might taste it if I happen to come across an opened bottle somewhere, but otherwise I really have no interest whatsoever to check it out.

It’s because of those 5 stars on the front label.

Finally got around to a Brigaldara. I had the 2015 on Christmas Eve, but it was a bit too “port-like” for me. Its not so much the alcohol content, but almost felt like the alcohol was a separate entity from the wine if that makes sense. Too young possibly? Slow-oxed for about 6 hours. Wondering if it wasn’t enough. Have you had the 2015 yet? I have 1 more bottle stashed and will likely give it another 3-5 years before I try again, but might try other vintages.

I haven’t had the '15, and it’s quite possible that it was too young (or if you received it recently, it might just have been in a funk from shipping). That said, the “port-like” and “high alcohol” descriptors are somewhat typical of Amarone (just not the disjointed nature you mention) and are the reason so many people really DON’T love Amarone. Brigaldara is generally known for dryer, less “sweet” Amarone, which could mean that in warmer vintages (such as '15) they tend to be higher alcohol than their counterparts that might preserve a bit more residual sugar…

If I had your experience with the first bottle, I’d try giving it a few years (maybe 3, as you suggest) and trying again.

damn… just made me realize that I did just receive this recently. I was expected it a few months ago, and my file just shows ETA, not when it actually landed, but it was delayed and just arrived only days before I opened it. I may have just ruined that bottle. I haven’t had that much bottleshock that I am aware of, but generally if I open a bottle shortly after receiving it, its something under $30 and that I haven’t had before, so I don’t really have a point of reference. Is that disjointed description common among bottleshock?

Love Brigaldara here too. I like to categorize it as Amarone for wine people. Not bridge and tunnel Amarone if that makes sense. More about spice and cinnamon than fruit motor oil with enough RS to kill a Clydesdale.

Yes, I would say that there is very little “objectivity” in terms of people’s varying descriptions of bottle shock, but “disjointed” is certainly probably the single most common term people use in describing it. (Note that people use this term frequently in other contexts as well, such as when a wine seems to be closed down or just in a weird phase, etc.). I personally remain a bit skeptical/agnostic on the overall issue of bottle shock, but (i) many, if not most, of the knowledgeable folks here emphatically believe it is a real thing, and (ii) there is no real downside for me to treat my own wine as if it is a real thing (even with my skepticism), since the only “cost” is that I have to wait 4-6 weeks after shipping to consume my wine…

John

1 Like

I like Speri and Campagnola is a very good value. Also Nicolis.

Bussola’s top amarone is the Vigneto Alto. Quite good if you’re okay with a bigger port-like style. It’s close to Dal Forno at half the price.

Quintarelli is my favorite of these top three. I find the style to be more feminine, relatively speaking.

Bertani is probably my next favorite producer in terms of QPR and one can also get wines going back to the 60s or 70s without having to pay exorbitant prices.

1 Like

a couple of years back I was able to get 2009 Nicolis at $33… didnt cellar them though and the last is already gone. cant find them anywhere now

Campagnola, I have a handful of 2013 and 2015 luckily. great qpr

Any appreciators of the Pieropan Amarone?

We have some available in our area, and I love all their Soaves.

Previously, I have enjoyed Speri and Tedeschi Amarones.

Didn’t even know Pieropan makes Amarone!

I’d definitely want to taste one so that I’d know how the wine is. However, I’d also be wary, since the wine apparently doesn’t come from the Classico region, but instead the larger Valpolicella region which isn’t that known for the quality of the fruit. I’ve had some quite enjoyable Amarones that have come outside the regions of Classico or Valpantena, but the quality there seems both much varied and lower in average.

And if a producer is known for the quality of white wines, it doesn’t automatically mean that they know how to make great red wines as well! [wink.gif]

For Masi Amarones, I have always enjoyed the Serego Alighieri as a big step up in quality from costasera, albeit for a few more dollars. As noted above, the estate was owned by Dante’s son and is in fact still family owned - well worth a visit if you have the chance. This cuvee also ages in cherry wood casks, as was once traditional there but I’m not aware of many / any other amarone’s that are aged in cherry wood anymore.

I haven’t had a ton outside of the Masi lineup and a few quinatarellis, a tasting of dal forno and some random glasses here and there at restaurants. I much prefer the style of amarone that quintarelli makes, but the price prevents it from being a yearly purchase…

Does anyone have a good recommendation for which of the above QPR values lean more that way stylistically?

haven’t opened a Serego Aligheri for some years and unfortunately, the last time was before I was leaving any notes or record, or really even being thoughtful about it, but I have a 2009 I plan to open over the next year or 2.

Wish I could help on the Quintarelli end, but still have yet to try one. Must have been a different post but someone here suggested Pasqua which I recently tried for under $50 and thought it was excellent.

Pasqua is one of the largest producers out there and to me their Amarone is pretty generic effort with very little if any character. Not particularly a bad wine, but it really has nothing that would make me recommend it to anybody.

For more classically styled Amarone that won’t break the bank (like Quintarelli would), I’d say Allegrini or Bertani would be two solid choices.

1 Like

the 2015 Allegrini was excellent too. I was thinking that this was much more expensive, because I bought it locally at $70, but just saw it at another online store I use for only $55, so I would agree on this one. I have had trouble finding Bertani for under $90 here in NY though.