Best bacon recommendations needed...

Fascinating, I just looked it up on Food Lab. Will try and test it out this weekend.

I tried it and I like it just fine. The speed is the major plus, but I caution that it should only be used on thick or very thick slices. It worked very nicely on Luger’s and the extra thick Nueskes.

I’m pretty sure that’s the source of the bacon I’ve had at Six Depot, an awesome cafe in West Stockbridge, Mass. Awesome bacon, awesome coffees from beans they roast themselves.

Great stuff !
I just loaded up for T-Day with a 18 lb ham, many sausages and bacon (both thin & thick).

Anyone who has ordered from North Country, thanks for the recco. I want to make an order of some bacons and maybe some sausages. Does anyone have specific Rocco’s of types of each, or other product, that is their favorite from them? I like Benton’s so don’t mind salt and smoke.

Their applewood smoked and fruitwood smoked bacon is great. That said, if you’re looking for heavy salt or smoke, you won’t find that here.

Hey, Marshall and I were talking about you last night as we cracked a 97 Huet Moelleux Bourg with some creme brûlée. Flawed!

I don’t mind the salt of Bentons, and like the smoke, but it isn’t essential. Just looking to know if one of their products is more so along either line than their others.

Dude,
PIGS know their bacon, EH ! [wow.gif]

From many of the posters here, apparently Jews know bacon too!

My porcine loving buddy Marshall introduced me to Benton’s.
image.jpeg

Bummer about that '97 Huet, John. I was just texting with Marshall the other day and I’m disappointed that he and Diana won’t be coming to NY this December/January like they usually do. It’s always a good time when they come to town.

If you like smoky, you may want to try the Schaller & Weber double smoked bacon. Really good stuff, as are all their products. I’m lucky in that their main retail store, established in 1937, is a block away from me.

^^^ This ^^^

Big fan of Bentons, just ordered Nueske’s applewood thick cut and Peter Luger to compare.

After much thought, I realized my perception of bacon was what I was fed as a kid. Armour/Oscar Meyer packaged bacon. Any improvement was slight in flavor enhancements during processing. About twenty years ago, I won a pig at the annual fair. I took the pig to the local market that handles the butchering and preparation, ordering the usual loins, chops, hams, bacon and the rest sausage. Both the bacon and hams were the best I’ve ever had. The bacon was smokier and not as salty and the hams tasted more like bacon.

Got both packs today. The Luger is 12 oz for 5 pieces, and the Nueske’s is 12 oz for 6 pieces.

Looking forward to comparing them.

I like this. I do however like the Applewood bacon from Nodines too.

Ate some Nueske’s Sunday, really good - like a bacon steak. Less salty that Benton’s (a positive) and less smoke (a negative). So far the ideal bacon to me would be Benton’s with 20% less sodium. Do any of the other suggestions in this thread meet that description?

Thanks for this discussion … I was able to ship some amazing bacon to my brother and SIL for the holidays and they were so happy. I’ve been trying to find the equivalent of the bacon sold at the little store called Roy’s in Peterborough NH. I used to live there - and almost lived on their bacon … and always carried a few pounds down to CT when visiting my bro. I gather N Country came close!

Bacon - none better than the bacon supplied in Upstate NY at Oscar’s Adirondack Mountain Smoke House.
Family owned and run for 70 years!
Bacons - Applewood or Hickory smoked, and Canadian, Irish Style and Sliced Beef Bacon are available. They also have sliced English Bacon (please press 1)…
Smoked hams are the best I have ever had, and I have tried them all…
Lot’s of other smoked products as well - meats and cheeses.
They now do a very good job of mail or internet orders!
They can be reached:
Oscar’s Adirondack Smoke House
22 Raymond Lane
Warrensburg, New York 12885
www.oscarsadksmokehouse.com

BTW - This is a Rachel Ray favorite!!

Our local grocery used to carry Fermin Iberico bacon and it was the best stuff I’ve ever had. They stopped about a year ago though as it was really pricey but worth it imo. Need to see if there is an easy online source and load up as it freezes well.

I had the Peter Luger bacon over the weekend. Excellent bacon! It is very similar to the Nueske’s thick cut, except the Nueske’s has a bit more of a smoked flavor - so I give the edge to Nueske’s. The real winner though, is me…because I got to eat a lot of delicious bacon.

I ordered some Nueske’s medium thickness applewood peppered bacon, and it came with a free sample pack of their new cherrywood smoked bacon, that they call “uncured” because they are curing it with celery salt instead of the normal nitrates. I’ll be curious how it is. PS, their kielbasa is excellent.