Best Banana Bread

Passed down from generation to generation. We chop walnuts and add to batter. Makes an incredible Banana Nut Muffin too.
CAD8FFBF-8EDF-4EAB-B7E5-A7BD8BCABB40.jpeg

Really cool, Brian, and thanks for posting.

I like this idea. My favorite carrot cake recipe calls for a can of crushed pineapple and i think it adds alot. Not an overwhelming pineapple flavor by any means but it helps keep it moist and gives it a subtle tropical flavor. It’s a very dense rich cake but it sure is good.

My Wife mixes the entire thing with a wooden spoon. The bananas are put in a ziplock and stored in the freezer when they start turning brown until we have 6-12. When thawed and mashed they have the consistency of super ripe mango. Nuts in The bread but only scattered on top the muffins. Loaf pans are buttered and floured. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.

I like the idea of pineapple because banana bread needs a bit of acid. It’s been strawberry season, so I’ve been making strawberry banana bread muffins. They work better as muffins than loaves because the moisture in the strawberries is better managed in a muffin format. I’ve been more or less following the Food Network “Strawberry-Banana Bread” recipe with a few twists. (I add a quarter cup of oatmeal that I let soak up in the banana puree - gives a nice texture, sub less oil instead of using butter, use a bit of baking soda and a bit less baking powder, cook a bit hotter and faster to account for the muffin size, and I usually add a bit of lemon zest and juice and reduce the sugar a little, so I guess I pretty much don’t follow the recipe very closely at all! But it’s a point of departure.) I also make rhubarb-banana bread that is nice and tangy. Just slice the rhubarb about the thickness of a nickel and I dust it with flour before folding it into the dry mix so it doesn’t clump, then combine with the wets. My favorite way to use rhubarb!

Ooooh, I like the banana rhubarb bread idea, Todd. Gonna have to give that a try. Our 'barb isn’t yet red enough to harvest but, when it is, we’ll have boatloads.