Best Burger help

I just made sweet ass burgers tonight. Fried Onions and mushrooms finely chopped and added to the beef with whole grain mustard, italian herbs, 2 eggs, salt and pepper, dash of soy, and fine chopped cooked bacon. Topped with bacon and swiss cheese. I also had apple chips fuming in my smoke box. Yummylicious burger, and soil my pants delicious. This is not meatloaf folks.

Not sure the reasoning behind it, but Lindaā€™s explanation seems sound. The point is it works. A looser meat patty gives me a better burger 100% of the time.
I do hear ya that on a grill, the concept is trickier and you need to pack it tighter.

Do a test sometime. The ground beef around here often comes in a very loose almost extruded looking block. (in the old days it used to be packed by hand and was more like a tightly balled up loaf) Take a knife and just cut a square patty out. Then take the rest of the meat and pack it tight then form patties. Season aggressively with salt and cracked pepper and throw both on a griddle or pan.

1 Like

For my home ground burgers, I use the large die on the Kitchen Aid, and not the small. I also pack the patties as loosly as possibly, as I rely on the chilling in the fridge to hold them together. Todayā€™s burgers were a nice medium rare that were super juicy and not falling apart.

I didnā€™t say there was anything at all wrong with either ideas. I was actually kinda impressed that anyone would make hamburgers that way. I was laughing at the fact that itā€™s only a hamburger to me.

What attitude?

Iā€™m going to marry my next wagyu truffle burger.

My Carls Jr. 6 dollar bacon cheese burger was falling apart today. I might just share some of these suggestions with them. Iā€™m sure they wonā€™t be offended since Iā€™m on a first name basis with all the employees. [wink.gif]

On top.

Tex has already hit the main points with reference. All I would add is think about the basic ground hamburger you get in a US supermarket. 80% lean is a pretty standard blend, with 75% as the ā€˜low endā€™ and 90% is more of a ā€˜premiumā€™ ground beef. Having seen what my grandfather would do to make 75% lean for sale in his meat market, I would tell you that any fat would do to make the burger more tasty.

As stated in the grocery thread, I went to Shop-Rite in Rockaway today and picked up their pedestrain 80% ground beef for burgers. 3lbs made 7 good sized burgers. I just added some dried onion flakes, dried parsley, and worcestershire sauce, mixed, formed into patties, saran wrapped in the fridge for 1hr prior to cooking. They were a huge hit. My family usually does the e-coli frozen patties.

All I like in my burgers is S&P. Iā€™ve fallen in love lately with this Himalayan Pink salt From TJā€™s. I like fresh-cracked black pepper too. Iā€™ve got a little yellow plastic burger shaper/packer that works really nice. It puts out a great +/-1/2lb. patty that I press out a little to 1/4 in. past the bun size. I prefer the 85% lean grind, which is usually round or sirloin by me. I think that the best way to keep your burgers from falling apart on the grill is to leave them alone until they get a nice caramelization and release from the grates. Rick earlier mentioned ā€œflip onceā€; I agree. I brush my burgers with a little oil to help this work. I prefer to cook them from room temp. I think they cook through better while still staying med-rare that way. I also found some great pretzel rolls that are delicious. Yum-O.

Does altitude affect a burger? I am at about 2175 ft here in the village.

So what sort of fat content ratio do you look at? I bought a pound and added about 4 oz of the tocino. Maybe I have always packed them too tight. I thought they were dry because the ā€œvealā€ was so ā€˜coughā€™ inferior.

Finishing up my packing to return to the States tomorrow, so Iā€™ll have lots of chances to test them out. Weā€™re coming to Dallas at the end of June so maybe weā€™ll get to try some really Great Beef!

[scratch.gif]

I think most people aim for ~20% fat content, so you were in the ballpark.

5 lbs. of chuck roast and 4 lbs of skirt steaks from Samā€™s club cubed and run through the large disc on the Kitchen Aid grinder. One pass and then right back into the fridge for 4 hours. Pattied them out and went right to a mesquite fire. S&P only.

I would guestimate the fat to lean ratio at about 70/30.

They were rocking.

After which I like to add salt

Iā€™ve been told this in the past and practice it regularly. I take the meat, break enough on for one patty and simply make it round. The less intrusion you have makes for a much more tender burger patty. I also do as the Canadians do and poke my thumb in the center of the patty. Prevents it from bloating during cooking.