Best carbonara recipe?

I asked and they said they were. I felt like Pee Wee Herman asking where the basement of the Alamo was.

1 Like

The worst (and best) carbonara that I’ve ever had was in Rome

Well, Marcella Hazan’s recipe calls for pancetta, but then, it’s probably from so long ago, guanciale probably wasn’t available much back then. No double boiler either, as she doesn’t put the pasta in the pan.

1 Like

I’ve been there. Just placed an order, used to be difficult to get guanicale there.

Given how good those films look, the portion seems paltry.

Thanks to everyone. I have never been fond of carbonara but my wife loves it and therefore she always ended up cooking it. I showed her this thread and I don’t know which recipe or recommendations she used but the improvement was amazing and now I’m craving carbonara.

I am envious, my wife does not read or cook from WB :slight_smile:. But I am gearing up to make some carbonara after watching the video with the impromptu double boiler, even though the only La Quercia our east coast WF has is prosciutto and speck.

What Kris said - we are spoiled. They also ship. Little background, if you’re interested → Seattle's legendary Salumi has new owners (bye bye Batali) and a new location - MyNorthwest.com

it is served as a primi followed by a meat course

I was going to say the same thing and in addition its a pretty rich dish so a little goes along way.

I ordered a couple of packages of guanciale from Quercia. I assume this doesn’t need refrigeration. How quickly should I consume it?

It’s shelf stable, but stick one in the fridge and the others in the freezer unless you expect to go through them quickly. They will last for years frozen and for a while in the fridge, though not sure how long once you open it since I always vacuum seal it again after cutting.

Vaccum seal + fridge = months of storage

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to seal any unused. But this is going to give my wife an excuse to make lots of carbonara. I think she’d eat it every day if I’d agree to it.

I got some from them a few months ago and made some Carbonara. It was so rich it made me sick (but I have major issues tummy issues- you’ll be fine I’m sure). Now I’m afraid to use the second package.

But it was so tasty! [cry.gif]

1 Like

I know it’s sacrilegious, but I don’t use all of the rendered fat for the same reason. I use maybe 1/4 and it’s still plenty rich.

I really didn’t use much of it.
I just never really know what it going to set me off. Rich foods usually aren’t an issue. But this was.
Best Carbonara I ever had, though. And I made the pasta as well.

You should make it for me so I can let you know if it’s too rich. [friends.gif]

As soon as there’s a vaccine, I’m down!

After finally getting some guanciale from an italian shop, along with good pecorino, I was excited to make a real carbonara. I loved it. But our 18yr old daughter said it tasted funny and was too fatty.

Boo hoo.

More for you then! champagne.gif