Best Champagne under $40

49 all in is basically 40 with shipping and tax, unless you’re looking at champagne that’s 30 before shipping and tax.

1 Like

Haha it’d be Dom before Krug as I have a bit more of that in the cellar.

+1

This was from Lopawine.com and is an absolute steal at that price. You’d have to email Scott to get the deal as it’s not on the website.

+1. These wines are an amazing value.

Here’s a ton of great stuff at Envoyer under $40; https://www.envoyerfinewines.com/collections/all-sparkling/?sort_by=price-ascending

I received some good suggestions on this topic:

Grande reserve has a bit too much dosage for my taste.

Me too. It also ages nicely, though there can be some bottle variation.

1 Like

For me, actually under 40 it’s Laherte Freres as you said in the OP. Beyond that the best champagnes under $40 aren’t champagne.

Mousse Fils - L’Or D’Eugene Blanc de Noirs for $39.98 at Central Wine Merchants

I have had many of the above and always have felt Piper Heidsieck year to year is hard to beat.

Thanks guys,

Lots of good suggestions. So far, I don’t see much agreement, though. Nothing gets more than 2 votes AFAICS.

Keep ‘em comin’!

I like Rene-Henri Coutier Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs. Vinopolis in Portland, OR, almost always has it for just under $40.

To add to the lack of consensus, how about Lanson Black Label Brut NV? It has managed to stay under $40 while my former favorites that used to be under $40 have crept over that bar the past year or so. Lanson is very decent, I think, but seems to have little cachet.

i agree…good choice.

I can second Laherte Freres, Bonville, the Hebrart wines. Some of the others are hard to find under $40. With Delamotte, I prefer the Blanc de Blancs, but it’s over $40.

Also, there are style differences, really is no “best”.

-Al

Delamotte Brut takes a slight lead!

at the JJbuckley private price I grabbed some heidsieck reserve brut for $36. that was a pretty great find if you happen to be on one of their representatives lists.

1 Like

Charles Heidsieck is great buy under $40. It’s somewhat a more mature style since it has a larger percentage of older reserve wines (although I seem to recall a post from Brad Baker that the average age has been dropping as stocks dwindle).

-Al

1 Like

Christian Busin is now owned and produced by Labruyere family:

My understanding is bottles labeled as Christian Busin are now produced only for long time, French customers. All other production is under Labruyere label. So, Busin bottles available in the US market now, or after 2012, are bottles procured through alternative channels, i.e. Grey Market, and not through an authorized, National importer.

Hebrart Brut
Aubry 1er

1 Like