Best corkscrew?

I use a Laguiole and if the cork is soft or breaks I pull out my Durand.

Nobody has mentioned the Code 38.

-Al

The OP asked for the best not the most expensive. [cheers.gif]

How sturdy are the Laguioles? I have one but afraid to use it, especially on tough to pull corks as I’m concerned about bending the metal…

This is what I have used pretty much exclusively (except for very old wines) for the last 7-8 years, so perhaps 2000+ bottles. Other than the teflon coating wearing, I see no sign of failure, I think perhaps the quality of materials is very high. Be sure to get a “genuine/best quality” version, that little bee logo belongs to a geographic area apparently, not a company.

Like many I am a fan of the “pulltap” due to the hinged mechanism. Quality is all over the place and generally not that great so they do end up being somewhat disposable. I stash those everywhere.

“Laguiole” can be great but that name means little in terms of quality with fakes and many producers using that name. I have a couple Laguiole en Aubrac which are my favorites and use those regularly. They are pricey but made like tanks. There was an amazing post on corkscrews many years ago that turned me onto them. I sleuth ebay for them.

Double hinge for me. Especially the cheap plastic handle ones. I like the one that Heritage Auctions gives out because when I forget to leave it in the car and they take it from me at security after a tailgate, it’s no great loss. I just make sure to replenish the next time I am at an event.

I agree that the Screwpull/Le Creuset is the best, or at least my favorite. I prefer the pocket model.
You can often get a discounted price at Le Creuset outlet stores.
Phil Jones

For a model that’s easy to put in your pocket, the Coutale is a nice design, a step up from the Pulltap in functionality. The LeCreuset (ex-Screwpull) is very good, a bit bulkier. One should always have an Ah-So on hand for older corks, though.

The Liquid Farm corkscrews are made by Coutale. Coutale makes several versions, many which are similar with double hinges. I prefer the models with teflon coated worms.

Le Creuset for younger wines, Durand for old ones. I wish the worm on the Durand was a bit longer

Funny as I can never imagine needing a new one. We have about thirty or so around the house, almost all the double-hinge waiter’s corkscrew. They’re pretty much disposable commodities. Bought a bunch of cheap Ah-so’s for $1.97 each and they work fine and I don’t mind so much if I leave them in a restaurant.

But if I were actually going to buy one, I’d get one like that one Alan linked to. You don’t have any problems with breaking the cork, etc. It’s more cumbersome, but works really well as long as your cork isn’t stuck to the sides of the glass.

Or a Rabbit, but I somehow trashed mine after five uses and they told me they no longer guarantee them.

If it’s something your wife or girlfriend has to use, from what I’ve seen, the waiter’s friend is not friendly to women, who tend not to have the wrist strength needed for some corks. Two nights ago I watched this waitress struggle to open a bottle from a table of women and finally I offered to help her. She was literally getting under the corkscrew with her hand at her shoulder and using her legs to try lifting the cork out of the bottle. I just visualized that bottle pouring all over the table. My wife is the same - she hates those corkscrews. So you may want to consider that and get a Rabbit.

If it’s something your wife or girlfriend has to use, from what I’ve seen, the waiter’s friend is not friendly to women, who tend not to have the wrist strength needed for some corks. Two nights ago I watched this waitress struggle to open a bottle from a table of women and finally I offered to help her. She was literally getting under the corkscrew with her hand at her shoulder and using her legs to try lifting the cork out of the bottle. I just visualized that bottle pouring all over the table. My wife is the same - she hates those corkscrews.

My wife has the same problem trouble. She keeps me around to pull corks and put in light bulbs.
We used to have some double handle, but the screw is machined and will pull out.
I liked to use the Twist pocket puller, but the top square came loose from the screw.
For screw caps, I just use slip-lock pliers.

Tell me about it. Great to feel useful, isn’t it? :wink: [snort.gif] neener

This is the double hinge waiters friend I currently use and it’s only $7…

For older bottles with soft corks, I use the Ah-so with the metal prongs.

I really like the Coutale design. The spring on the double hinge is really nice design feature.

And open jars. That’s a biggie!

And how! Clearly, you know the drill. [snort.gif] flirtysmile

Double hinged waiters by Coutale. Best €6 I have ever spent.

I love the Rosle waiter’s style corkscrew. Oversized and heavy. Holds up, and I don’t miss the double-hinge.