Best Entry-level Muscadet under $15 [poll added]

Great discussion! These are wines to drink with simple food during the week.The brains of this board have come up with some fantastic suggestions!

2019 Marc Dupas Les Purcelles is $13.50 at total Wine, 2019 Chateau du Juanay $15.30.

The basic Pepiere, recently under the name “La Pepie”, is probably as good as any at this price. Vagaries of vintage certainly can make this more or less so. Like a lot of other wine regions there have been some recent “sunny” vintages that work against the wine characteristics that are so appealing and distinctive. I think I would give almost any Muscadet a try in this price range unless I have heard something bad about the vintage or producer. Not a wine to take too seriously IMO, although the producers have made efforts to raise the “cachet” over the past couple of decades. As always FWIW, since I find it easy to “get out over my skis” a bit with my wine opinions.

FWIW Jim, I was going to post a similar sentiment re Pepiere. It has been a blind buy for me since forever, but the last couple of vintages have left me wanting due to lack of acidity/vibrancy. 2019 seems better.

1 Like

I bought briords last year for 18 a bottle. In my opinion it is a big setup up from Le pepie for only an extra 3-5 bucks.

Pepiere Sur Lie, for under $15.

Pepiere Briords for under $20.

1 Like

The only reason Briords isn’t in the running is because it was the winner of the Legendary Value thread and I wanted this version to be below that level.

Poll added.

Landon Amphibilite Nature. It’s not Sur Lie but as crisp, dry, and mineral laden as any Muscadet. Briords is still the leader of the pack.

Pepiere Sur Lie ‘La Pepie’ is leading, but it’s close at this stage.

I’m going to call this Pepiere Sur Lie 'La Pepie. Only Briords can challenge it and that’s barre due to winning in the (supposedly more expensive) Legendary Value thread.