best Gewurz for spicy Asian food?

I would think Weinbach Altenbourg VT or Cuvee Laurence would work well. For me, the best producer of Gewurz on earth.

Domestic Dry: I would vote for Navarro.

I also would not do Z-H.

To digress into what you did not ask for:

I’d also say that with green or yellow curry a blue slate feinherb or kabinett is divine. Spatlese and Auslese also, but as I am getting further along, I prefer the lower RS options with spicy food. Also killer with spring rolls.

For red curry or Massamam dishes, I prefer porphyritic and to a lesser degree red slate riesling of the same pradikats. Donnhoff’s Hermannshohle Spatlese is fantastic with this.

Sorry for the thread drift.

You and others will pardon me (English is not my mother tongue) … right?
In Germany it´s spelled Vulkan !

In America everyone gets pardoned! [snort.gif]

Navarro makes a great Gewurz, and it’s 25% off right now, if you buy a case. In addition, free shipping (1 cent). $216 total!

https://www.navarrowine.com/shop/2018-gewurztraminer-estate-bottled-dry

1 Like

Thanks so much your recommendation. I don’ know why I didn’t think of Navarro, before. I will jump on that deal. Also ordered some Trimbach Robeaupierre.

Definitely agree with Trimach. I just cracked open a 2011 Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre about two weeks ago with some spicy Asian crab and it was fabulous. The wine, at 10 years old, was at its absolute best!

Trimbach is usually our go-to.

Tercero Outlier tends to pair well.

Also, some whites out of Michigan.

The link is for the 2018. The 2019 is also available. [cheers.gif]

This is a terrific bottling, at a great price. And by the way, I had the 1990 not long ago and it was fabulous, so it ages too! I have a very foggy recollection that it is sourced with declassified GC grapes, but I’m not positive.

Re pairing, I really do love gewurz but I find sometimes it has a tad too much going with spicy Asian food. Prefer Alsatian VT or German spatlese riesling. Because of its uniqueness, I find gewurz generally best with cheese.

I really enjoy the Stolo Gewurtz, just outside Paso…near Cambria. Site is about 6 miles from the Pacific.

As others have said, the challenge is matching the level of spiciness of the foods - and to me, this is kind of like asking a consumer what ‘dry’ in a wine means to them. To some folks, ‘spicy’ means ‘burn the heck out of your mouth’ to others.

I dig Gewurz with spicy Asian food, BUT if the food is really spicy, I need to have more sweetness to counter that. If it’s ‘barely’ spicy (however you want to define that) then a less sweet and viscous version might work.

Some have mentioned my Outlier and I appreciate that. I did just bottle my latest Outlier and this one only has about .1% RS in it but sits about about 13.9% alcohol, giving it the ‘body’ that additional RS would. I would think this would be a good match for many spicy dishes but not the ‘burn your tongue’ variety.

Another one not mentioned, but that is consistently wonderful and reasonably priced, is the Claiborne and Churchill GZ.

Cheers.

I’ve never thought about “more spicy = I need more sugar” so interesting to see that in this discussion. I will have to give it a try. I do like Gwz with Thai, but I reckon Marsanne (and some Rousseanne) is great with spicy food too, particularly Szechuan for example (those tingly peppers).